10-17-12 Stupid and Adrift

Dave Mull

I too read of Daves travels in July. It really got my attention. I ordered a new hand held PLB. I got one that floats, around $275, and new handheld vhf. Might want to add that our life jackets no longer live down under the beds in the cuddy while we are away from the dock.

I honestly feel that Dave has told will save many lives.

How many guys have there radio hooked up to use the DSC function?

i have it on my radio but not hooked up,, is the a cable i can buy that runs it of my humminbirds gps??

The wires should be already there, and there are a couple of ways to connect them. Mine is done on the NEMA 0183. if you have a network it can be done there . You will also need a MMSI number. That you can get through Boat US. The information to install it should have come with your radio.

I just did a search on Hummingbird gps and DSC , a lot of good info.

You may want to check Humminbirds website and the manufacture of you radio to find out which wires to connect to which wires. Mine was very simple 3 wires, Sorry can't remember what the colors were. You will have to enable the radio and the gps to use that fuction. On mine when I turn on the GPS it shows a Satellite/GPS on the radio indicating its working.

• 5 months later...

I hate to bring up this old thread but this story in "Great Lakes Fishing" got me to thinking about safety when out on the water. I usually go out in a small 16' boat and we are never "far" from shore. But with as fast as the lake can change and the cold water "to far" might change fast. Now I have to figure out what we need in the "ditch bag" I keep reading about.

Thanks again for the story.

Mark

I hate to bring up this old thread but this story in "Great Lakes Fishing" got me to thinking about safety when out on the water. I usually go out in a small 16' boat and we are never "far" from shore. But with as fast as the lake can change and the cold water "to far" might change fast. Now I have to figure out what we need in the "ditch bag" I keep reading about.

Thanks again for the story.

Mark

Mark where in WI are you from? add it to your info.