Walker downrigger weight capacity

Not sure what I will do with my old motors. I have ZERO intentiions of rigging them for a planer system. I have tried the big boards, several different kinds, and they are not for me.

Interesting Aaron. My old ones where tan/light brown not gray. Niel said the new motors would not work with the tan ones. Regardless the new motors are the way to go.

The tan ones were before my time lol. I think the tan one had the one inch motor covers not really sure but Doug said to do it on those all you had to do was change out the motor covers to the two inch covers. When doug said it could be done and neil said it couldnt be done i took apart one of my tourney series and put the motor in the old rigger and it fit so i went ahead and bought all the stuff and in about two hours had both riggers upgraded.

And i do agree the new motors are awesome. with yours overheating do you have the wires from the battery to the switch upgraded to 12 ga wire. I had an issue at first with the 14 ga doing that so i bought the 12 ga bonded wire and havent had an issue since i changed that.

LOL

well the ones I just bought are a gray color.

the ones I have had for years are an olive green, I dont know where that falls into the age timeline lol

No clue never seen olive green ones unless they are discolored from something or painted by a previous owner.

And i do agree the new motors are awesome. with yours overheating do you have the wires from the battery to the switch upgraded to 12 ga wire. I had an issue at first with the 14 ga doing that so i bought the 12 ga bonded wire and havent had an issue since i changed that.

I looked at them last night, and the weight I was pulling up from 140' was a 15# er. That's when they overheated, but I still have the original 14 gage wire, and it goes to the other side of the Stern to a fuse block (witch goes through the battery switch). This winter I'm going to convert them to the 12 gage wire, and hook it to the battery under it.

Ken also make sure your switches are rated for 30 amp. If they are the original switches for the old motors they were only rated at 15 amp. There should be a part number on the side take that number and go to cole hersee's web site and put it into their cross reference and you will get the ratings. that can also cause overheat. if you have the rocker style the place i put the link to is the cheapest for environmentally sealed 30 amp reverse polarity switches. If they are toggle the go to terminal supply on clyde park and 44th for those. Diane or Stephanie will have them in a couple days if they dont have them in stock. They usually have a couple for the machine shops in the area. Best place for the wire is also terminal supply i believe you can buy the two wire 12 ga in the jacket in 25 ft spools from them. I got mine at work when i was doing parts at the dealership.

ALso make sure to put in a switch somewhere to turn on and off the power to the riggers. I have a six ga wire that runs down from the battery switch to a terminal block that two riggers hook to on each side. when i turn off the batteries to the boat it also cuts the power to the riggers and stops any sort of electrical drain.

:thumb:According to the Walker Rep/Serviceman I spoke to, if it's an older Walker, it will not be a problem for the new motor. Just a bit of customization to make it fit into the older housing. :thumb:

If you have the old motors you should be able to upgrade them then.

ok thanks. I am going to my cabin today after work for the weekend. I am going to toss them in the back of the truck and work on them this weekend if we get this rain they are calling for, it will give me something to do while having a few too many barley pops.

Ken also make sure your switches are rated for 30 amp. If they are the original switches for the old motors they were only rated at 15 amp. There should be a part number on the side take that number and go to cole hersee's web site and put it into their cross reference and you will get the ratings. that can also cause overheat. if you have the rocker style the place i put the link to is the cheapest for environmentally sealed 30 amp reverse polarity switches. If they are toggle the go to terminal supply on clyde park and 44th for those. Diane or Stephanie will have them in a couple days if they dont have them in stock. They usually have a couple for the machine shops in the area. Best place for the wire is also terminal supply i believe you can buy the two wire 12 ga in the jacket in 25 ft spools from them. I got mine at work when i was doing parts at the dealership.

ALso make sure to put in a switch somewhere to turn on and off the power to the riggers. I have a six ga wire that runs down from the battery switch to a terminal block that two riggers hook to on each side. when i turn off the batteries to the boat it also cuts the power to the riggers and stops any sort of electrical drain.

Mine where not an upgraded motor. I bought them new from Niel a few years back. They are the tournament series, with auto stop.

I traded in my gray/tan ones through a special they had going.

I have had some trouble with one of mine stalling, as well. After I check the wiring and switches, I'll have to make a decision They are ancient, and I can't see upgrading them. Where would I find someone to rebuild the motor for $50 as mentioned earlier. Is that something Walker does?

I have had some trouble with one of mine stalling, as well. After I check the wiring and switches, I'll have to make a decision They are ancient, and I can't see upgrading them. Where would I find someone to rebuild the motor for $50 as mentioned earlier. Is that something Walker does?

Call Niel at tre Walker service center. 269-673-7442

I got a chance to take one of mine apart while at the cabin during the Lions game.

I dont know why someone would have put a light duty toggle switch in it but they did and put a blank plug in where the original switch was. Also the power cord was changed out with light wiring too, thats going in the garbage also.

They are the old motors. I am just going to upgrade the wiring and switches and see how it goes for now.

I also got one of the housings painted.

thats about as far as I got.

Aaron

I am looking at those rocker switches you bought.

It says they are momentary on-off

do you have to keep the switch pushed down to get the motor to run?

I just want to flick the switch and not have to hold it so I can do other stuff while its bringing the weight up

I am thinking like this one

http://www.gamainc.com/site/epage/130298_941.htm

Aaron

I am looking at those rocker switches you bought.

It says they are momentary on-off

do you have to keep the switch pushed down to get the motor to run?

I just want to flick the switch and not have to hold it so I can do other stuff while its bringing the weight up

I am thinking like this one

http://www.gamainc.com/site/epage/130298_941.htm

that one will work if using toggles. I havent tried those i was afraid of having enough room once you go to the new motor. That is why i stayed with the top mount rocker switch. Gama's switches are awesome. We used to order fom them all the time when i was at the dealership. I have thought about trying them and getting switch plugs for the top.

Brian,

The Walker Riggers you bought from me were converted from the rocker switch's to the toggle switch. I was told by the original owner of them that they were done by some one at the factory or the Walker repair center so I would assume that they are Walker toggle switchs. They also seem to be the same as the switchs on my sons Walkers riggers as do the power cords, as a matter of fact we have run them off other Walker power cords. The power cord wires seem a little light but have always worked ok and I ran them with a 15 amp fuse.

thanks Rick

I am changing out the power leads to match the others as I have 4 power outlets on my Grady that look like house AC outdoor outlets.

So I thought I might as well up the switches too, they are light, I am sure they will be ok as is but might as well while I am in there so if I ever do upgrade the motors I am all set.