Haywire twist?

Hey guys hoping to repair my 300 cu that "found" my wire diver. I have two spots that are frayed up pretty good. I've read a lot about the ease of using the haywire twist but have found nothing on the net showing how to do it (except a few u tube videos where saltwater guys were using it to tie a wire leader to a hook). Thanks.

it is tied the same way nomatter where your using it. tho i think some guys do use a small barrel swivel to do the repair. but you should be able to use google and find more on it than anyplace i,ve tried to find knots. the haywire twist is really simple to learn. i was doing some fishing in florida with my brother n law who lived down there and he didnt know how. i had just seen a couple of videos that i had bought about florida fishing and knots. so i was tieing them in no time. so give google a try.

sherman

i just went to google.com and did a search for haywire twist. i got a bunch of good info. the first one i looked at had great info.

Edited by sherman51
more info

Here is a picture of mine

You just twist it together and I put a small piece of very small shrink tubing over it. It a weird size like 3 or 5/32nds that fits best. You need to get it tight so it doesn't hang up in the guides.

The swivels and tubing is available on calumetmarine.com webstore

DSC00702.jpg

Thanks Ron thats what I was looking for...I use the spro swivel with shrink wrap for my leader to copper....just wanted something for copper to copper without dealing with the shrinkwrap ...how strong is the twist? I've tried something like this but seemed to pull apart with a good pull?

Thanks Ron thats what I was looking for...I use the spro swivel with shrink wrap for my leader to copper....just wanted something for copper to copper without dealing with the shrinkwrap ...how strong is the twist? I've tried something like this but seemed to pull apart with a good pull?

That's what I thought you were looking for. By the end of the season almost every one if my coppers either has a small section cut our or longer section replaced using this technique. As long as you twist them in opposite directions it is almost as strong as original. I have never had a splice come apart on me.

Edited by killerbe20
Auto correct from phone

I stopped using the haywire on super copper after having a few correctly tied connections fail. Not that it can't be done, but now even with I splice, I use a spro and shrinktube. I would consider haywire twist with shrink tube over it just to make it easier on the guides and help minmize backlashing.

Also, remember to check the backing/copper junction knot and retie occasionally since the board clamp is likely fraying this section very slowly. This keeps you from having a fish hit and take the entire copper section with it from the board back. I tie a fifteen foot piece of fifty pound test in between the copper(haywire twist and Uni knot) and braid backing (double Uni knots). Good luck!

I stopped using the haywire on super copper after having a few correctly tied connections fail. Not that it can't be done, but now even with I splice, I use a spro and shrinktube. I would consider haywire twist with shrink tube over it just to make it easier on the guides and help minmize backlashing.

Champ, I also had a 32# haywire let loose this year, and will likely start using Spro's for the smaller diameter coppers.

When I use shrink tube, I have noticed that over time the tubbing starts ripping, and gets caught on the eyelets (mine are big eyelet poles).

Do you have this same trouble?

Is one shrink wrap better than another?

Not sure if one is better than the other, but i'm sure it's possible. I use the regular black stuff found at Fleet Farm. I have regular old TDR rods for my personal stuff but our coppers on the charter boats have the big eye Talora's and don't seem to have any problems.

I use the 30lb Spro and Haywire twist and shrink tube. Spend a little more and get the 3M shrink tube it is way better do not get the glue tube shrink wrap you won't like it. The pics I put up took about 3 min start to finish it is 45lb Blood Run and 3M shrink tube. I have done dozens of them and they do not fail.

I agree on the 30ish pound Spro swivel. The smaller the better and chances are it still is not the weakest part of setup. Even if it is, still plenty of strength to withstand the abuse my setups take day in and day out

Thanks Josh I always use the smallest I can get away with and since every rod is using 20lb leader or line that is the planned weak point. I do have a pair of rods with 25lb Big Game that do FF on my riggers or get used with my slide divers. Over the years nearly all of my rods have been traded out for lighter gear with most being medium light or medium action it is just way more fun.

Another question, do you just pull the shrink tube over the knot and that is it? Or do you heat it up somehow? In some of the pics it looks like it was heated up. How do you warm it up if so?

I did what IRON posted in his link from page one and 15 fish later it was just fine. No swivels just had someone hold the 100 feet that was still in the water in one hand gave me some to work with, overlapping about 8 inches on both pieces and started twisting. I went about 7 times in each direction and then clipped off the extra. 250 is now a 225 and was still catching plenty of fish.