Bottom Paint issues.

I had my new to me 25' boat bottom painted this spring. The marine service business used the Interlux paint. It was confirmed that the Interlux would play nicely with the West Marine bottom paint that was previously applied. After this summer, a good third of the paint has come off. My suspicion is that the hull was not prepped very well. It couldn't have been sanded well enough. The boat was trailered three times. Once from the shop to the slip, once from my slip to Ludington, then back to my slip in Quanicassee. The lost paint doesn't at all correspond to the rollers on the trailer. Is this something that I should take up with the people that applied the bottom paint? What is acceptable in regards to bottom paint? I realize they all have limited lifespans, but 30% loss in one year? Should I expect them to redo it at their cost, or meet them half way?

Before you jump on them, even if properly prepped it's bonding to the previous coat. Can you tell what layer is failing? You should bring it back and question the service provider. Go in with questions not accusations. It may or may not be their fault. Could be a bad batch of paint. Either way give them a chance to be helpfully and stand behind their work first.

Thats what I was thinking. It is on the trailer right now, I will stop in and see what they say about it. It is basically coming off in a couple different scenerios. There are places where I can see the gel coat, and some are just down to the old blue bottom paint. There were some places that the gel coat was previously showing through the old blue bottom paint, so it really doesn't tell me much other than the new black paint is falling off everywheres and not favoring either underlying surface. The areas where the paint has fallen off are very smooth, not scuffed like I would have expected. I can literally flake more paint off with my finger nail.

call interlux fisrt

they will probably ask you to email pictures

there was probably a lack of surface prep or a problem with the appilcation temp

the manufacturers has very specific instructions to follow and some where some one fell short

then take this info to the shop that put the paint on

let us know how it turns out

Tony, I think these guys are on track pretty much, preparation before painting is everything, along with what Frank said too, following mfr. instructions for temp. etc.. Do let us know how it turns out, and any pics. like now, and after the repainting, would sure be appreciated and a learning tool for many with similar problems. Interlux is a prime mfr. of bottom paint, used it for many years without fail. Also, I like to let the paint cure up a few days before launching, usually within 3-4 days, but not sooner, hope that wasn't the case either.

I have the day off today. I will try and get some photos of the bottom. Ed, thanks, I do think it was a lack of good prep before applying the paint. The boat sat on the trailer for about a week before going in the water. I did lots of research before settling on the Interlux paint. I don't feel like it was a paint issue, more of an application issue.

Those were just the places I could get a good camera shot. The worst is farther back on the very bottom sections. It appears to me that it wasn't sanded enough. You can see craters filled in by the new bottom paint. I would think you would sand those smooth prior to adding new paint?

oh man, I know you don't trailer often but you're supposed to back up your trailer into the water not just aim for wherever you parked on the lot & skid the bottom of your boat across the parking lot onto the trailer. Although I will admit... Those kinda steering skills I hope to someday achieve. =)

On a more serious note. That is awful and whoever did it should redo it without charging a dime. That is if you're even willing to take it back to them.

Tony exact problem I had boat needs to be stripped and bottom prepped correctly if you just sand what is on there and paint over it you will still end up with the same results , been there done that.I had mine stripped ,barrier coated then painted and haven't had any issues since I had it done 3 yrs ago, better done right the first time than to have to do it over again.If you just had someone paint the bottom without them stripping it you can't blame them but if they are reputible they should of explained that to you in the first place , just my experience.

It appears from the bottom two pictures that the old paint had fallen off before, you can see similar patterns to the flaking paint you are getting right through the new paint. It very well could be an issue with the old paint, likely prep from what you are saying, maybe just junk paint? Seems like someone that knew what they were doing would have recognized that there was an issue and recommended that you start from scratch rather than paint over it.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the boat back to the place it was painted. The owner immediately agreed that it was faulty prep work. He agreed to redo the job at their expense first thing in the spring. Thanks for all of the comments and information guys.

Tony get the hull soda blasted first then have them redo it Since you like me trailer the boat I would have it returned to the Gelcoat and put on a hard bottom paint. If I can afford it mine will be done with either VC Offshore or VC Performance Epoxy If the Offshore came in white it would be my only choice but since I don't slip a lot I will likely go with the Performance Epoxy.