glen arbor 9/23 9/24 9/25

Left sunday with a friend headed to traverse city salmon fishing in the rivers and streams. This is a kind of fishing that i have never done and i am so glad that i went. The rivers and streams were loaded with kings, pinks, and cohos, by the thousands. We fished around the traverse city and glen arbor area including the platte river, mitchell, crystal,boardman, and mainistee. We were very picky on the fish we keep because some of the kings and cohos were starting to turn black but at the same time there was constant pushes of fresh silver fish up the rivers and those are the ones we targeted. We landed over 200 fish and hooked prolly 200 more, we came home with our 30 fish for our 3 days of fishing all nice silver fish too. The kings we kept were between 18 and 26 pounds and the cohos were 7 to 12 pounds with 1 coho over 14 pounds. It was crazy fishing in streams the size of a double lane road in ankle to knee deep water with thousands of fish only feet away, I have never fought a fish like these salmon in michigan in my life, when you hook them they scream 100 yards of line off the rod straight up stream through tunnels, trees and damns, flipping out of the air the whole time. It was a great trip now i need to rest my arms and shoulders.

Left sunday with a friend headed to traverse city salmon fishing in the rivers and streams. This is a kind of fishing that i have never done and i am so glad that i went. The rivers and streams were loaded with kings, pinks, and cohos, by the thousands. We fished around the traverse city and glen arbor area including the platte river, mitchell, crystal,boardman, and mainistee. We were very picky on the fish we keep because some of the kings and cohos were starting to turn black but at the same time there was constant pushes of fresh silver fish up the rivers and those are the ones we targeted. We landed over 200 fish and hooked prolly 200 more, we came home with our 30 fish for our 3 days of fishing all nice silver fish too. The kings we kept were between 18 and 26 pounds and the cohos were 7 to 12 pounds with 1 coho over 14 pounds. It was crazy fishing in streams the size of a double lane road in ankle to knee deep water with thousands of fish only feet away, I have never fought a fish like these salmon in michigan in my life, when you hook them they scream 100 yards of line off the rod straight up stream through tunnels, trees and damns, flipping out of the air the whole time. It was a great trip now i need to rest my arms and shoulders.

:no::no::no:

We used to fish the Garden River in Ontario, prior the Lake Huron crash, with the same general results. If you really want to make your shoulders sore and upper body sore, switch over to a fly rod.

Hopefully, you took a lot of pictures. I suspect you just experienced something that was quite unique because of the low water levels.

Congratulations!

• 5 months later...

Was this 2012? We were at the Platte Hatchery twice this past October and saw probably 1000 coho with none over 5#. Lots of captains I know never pulled 20# kings this year, and most tournaments and 333 contests have 13-14# averages.

Never heard of pinks in any number around that area; probably jack coho, as the hatchery was full of them too. They just get whacked and thrown in a tub to be sold....