I have some relatives from out of town coming in this weekend to go salmon fishing, but it looks like it will be to rough on the big lake. Does anybody have other suggestions? I heard maybe Muskegon lake or the channel. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to get out fishing, but don't know where to go.

Thanks,

Jake

I would head for one of the drowned river mouth lakes -- Muskegon, Manistee, Ludington/Pere Marquette, Whitehall/White Lake, Lake Charlevoix... With the north/north-west winds and showers, there should be a good push of fish moving in each day.

Plugs off riggers and divers is the main presentation I have used for trolling but a lot of guys will also anchor and jig for them with spoons. Super Mag spoons have also worked for me in the past. Trolling speeds vary, but I usually go slower (1.8-2.1 mph) than on the big lake. I would anticipate combat fishing at its finest which means shorter leads than on the big lake (usually no more than 40' or so) and be ready to adjust depths quickly as the water depths change quickly too.