Wave from Georgian Bay

Welcome Jack. Now lets see some pictures of them great big Lake O fish!

Georgian Bay is Lake H ;) But I would really love to hear info from over there on the salmon fishery. With all the rumors of massive natural salmon coming from Georgian Bay tributaries, I would hope some are being caught there.

About 15 years ago I spent a week fishing the Parry Sound area for small mouth and pike. Had a great time but the boat we had was too small to go out beyond the islands to to for the open water fish.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes Georgian Bay is actually the east arm of Lake Huron. Sometimes called the sixth great lake. We don't have the big monster salmon like Lake 'O' has but we still have salmon swimming around.

A few years back we had a world class salmon fishery in our area, with average size fish well into the teens and twenties were a common occurrence. Fish into the thirties were being caught as well, but due to the alewife population collapse of a few years ago we have lost the majority our once great fishery. Fish were fewer and farther between, smaller in size and not very healthy looking. They were starving. Stocking has been cutback due to predator prey being badly out of balance.

Good news this year is that the majority of fish caught this season have been healthier looking which in my mind means that they are adapting to the change and finding food in other than their traditional locations. They are finding the smelt and stickleback to feed on. Also a lot of the fish, not all, show no fin clips so they are probably be wild fish. From reports around the bay in our area (Christian Island-Collingwood) the catch numbers have been up this season and we are hoping that this will be the trend for next year as well. Also promising reports of good numbers of salmon entering the rivers to do their thing. Maybe this is what our new salmon fishery will be? Only time will tell.

Not monsters but tasty fish.:grin:

IMG00018-20120616-1818-1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Cheers...Jake