What anchor to buy?

Long story short, I need a new anchor rode and thought that it would be a good time to upgrade the anchor. I have a small aluminum anchor that came with the boat and will slow me down, but doesn't hold the boat well. Anybody have an anchor they recommend for a 22' fiberglass boat? I can probably spend a couple hundred dollars if I have to but don't really want to. I'm pretty cheap.

Nick,

I have three anchors in the garage from upgrading boats and such.

All three are the style Jon posted.

Two are medium size and one is huge.

You have perfect timing. I'm currently cleaning out the garage (spring cleaning came a little late this year) and I'd be happy to get rid of an anchor.

Edited by Just Hook'n
spelling

thats the typical style you will see in this area. works good with the "soft" bottoms we have in the great lakes. I have used mine many times on Racine's sand bar and holds the boat very well. Make sure you get the right size for your boat.

Nick

I would have to agree with jon's choice I have one for my 20ft and never have had it break loose, I have 3foot of chain on it and 100 ft of line and have had 4 footers hitting it while i sat on the beach ( drinking beer ) and it held tight.. The key is to run the rope in the trailer eyelet first and then to the cleat. Low center .And they stay.

Nick I have a 13lb with 200 ft of rode and 15ft of chain it holds my 26 in up to 30ft of water pretty good. The trick is getting the scope correct not counting the chain you need roughly 5ft of line out for every ft of depth a storm anchor will start at 7ft of line per ft of water. If the scope is wrong the anchor will not hold. For storm conditions I normally just put the boat back on the trailer LOL.

Here is a link to the type I have used for quite a while. It is called a Chine Anchor and seems to anchor solidly quicker and release easier when it's time to go than a standard fluke anchor. I have the medium size on my ~4500# loaded boat.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Chene-Anchor-recommended-for-16-25-boats&i=33822&aID=602A3&merchID=4006

It does a good job on my current boat and my previous 22' WAC. The Chine anchor does not use a chain but it is very important on a regular fluke anchor to keep the lifting arm down to let the anchor flukes dig into the bottom. Then as Jim says, you need to make sure there is enough rode out depending on the depth of water and seas. Prior to getting the Chine ancor, I used the standard fluke style anchor with the solid arm -- it is now my backup.

We don't get it too much on Lake Michigan unless you get north to the islands area on the Michigan side, but if you do have rocks a grappling hook type is a good option. It will hook into the rocks but if it gets stuck the hooks will bend if you use the boat to power it loose. Down in the Florida Keys it is a very popular anchor for fishing. (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Grapple-Buddy-Boat-Anchor&i=86954&aID=602A3&merchID=4006)

That's pretty much the same as the one I have now, probably the 8#. Maybe my issue is not enough line. I know I couldn't get the boat to hold in 20' of water up in Cedarville when we tried to fish herring a couple of years ago. Although it was very windy and the bottom was all muck. I also have tried it on Higgins Lake in 60' of water jiggin for lakers with no luck. I guess I'll try 200' of line and take a trip over to Mark's house and check out one of the bigger anchors. Thanks guys.

i use one something like the chene anchor. but its more like the tie down engineering anchor that bass pro shops carry. its made to work the same way, but its alittle different than the one pictured. but when you get ready to pull the anchor you just drive to the upside and it pulls it out backwards. but i think i have about a 12 # anchor on my 21 ft boat and it has served me well. i have about 6 or 8 ft of chain, then i have 300 ft of rope. i have it spooled on one of those hand held electrical extension cord reels. i have always heard 3 ft out for every ft of water. in 60 ft of water you need atleast 180 ft of rope out.

sherman