I see some reports of fish getting dark out in the big lake and seeing that some Kings were caught in Pere Marquette lake a couple weeks ago when I was up there. How about Muskegon Lake? Has anyone been trying or seen anyone trying with success off the power plant by the mouth of the river?

That was where I hooked (not landed ;)) my first King many, many years ago. Thought it might be fun to go give it a try again this coming week but if the fish are still mostly in the big lake, a couple weeks later might be a better idea.

Related question... Looks like Fisherman's Landing is probably the best ramp as far as proximity to the mouth of the river. I have launched there in the past with much smaller boats than I have now. The cat is 21' but because the trailer bunks sit high it is probably closer to a 24'+ V hull for launching. Are the ramps at Fisherman's Landing long and deep enough for me? I have launched at the ramp out near the high-speed ferry and it is okay.

Another Fisherman's Landing question... Is this a city launch or a DNR launch (where my DNR Passport tag would work)?

Ryan,

From what I've heard, fish have not really started to run yet into Muskegon Lake. Maybe this blow from the north Friday night into Saturday will change things.

There have been some jiggers at the west end of the lake, but I don't know of their success rate.

I have not seen hardly any boats at the east end of the lake by the mouth of the river.

As far as Fisherman's Landing, I know my buddy launches his 28' pleasure boat there with no trouble. And, it is a city launch. The DNR passport won't work there.

Good luck.

What is the Snug Harbor ramp out by the State Park? Is it a good ramp for bigger boats? Is there a fish cleaning station?

Not so much interested for fishing the inland lake but it appears to be the closest one to the channel for summer use.

Ryan in my 26 I have 2 choices if I want to keep the prop out of the dirt Fishermans Landing long run to the lake or Grand Trunk. Fishermans landing is the nicer and has a cleaning station however it is also a steeper ramp and I have smoked the tires on my F250 Deisel more than once when the ramp is busy and wet. Opps I almost forgot one Harbortown has a pay ramp and a fish cleaning station and you cannot get any closer to the lake.

Snug Harbor is not really an option for larger boats Ryan. I launched out of there with my 20' bow rider before and got hung up on sandbars a few times. I have never even tried with the new boat, it just drafts to deep. Besides the sandbars there are old wood pilings that are on the charts and can be avoided, but Snug Harbor itself is very shallow and you churn up a lot of muck.

As stated. Snug = zero chance. Balcoms I would say 20ft and under. Grand trunk and fishermans are good launches. Grand trunk for big lake and fishermans for river. Last I remember it's a slim chance to get too close to the river. Last time I tried the water was about a foot deep.before you hit it

Grand Trunk is the one I have used the last 3 years or so when I go to Muskegon. I just wish that it had fish cleaning. I know that Fisherman's Landing has fish cleaning but it is an awful long run all the way down the lake to get to the breakwall.channel.

The area we used to jig in was in the shadow of the big stacks of the power plant. It was 20' to 40' deep or so and the salmon came through in schools before heading up the river. It was quite the sight back then with people fishing all through the night. Lanterns in boats and bonfires at Fisherman's Lading and an amazing number of salmon caught.... but that was way back when Springs Tackle was open.

As stated. Snug = zero chance. Balcoms I would say 20ft and under. Grand trunk and fishermans are good launches. Grand trunk for big lake and fishermans for river. Last I remember it's a slim chance to get too close to the river. Last time I tried the water was about a foot deep.before you hit it

I was in a canoe last week and I had to get out and walk to try to go up the south branch from Muskegon lake . it was about 2" deep

Harbour Towne does not allow launch users to use the cleaning station (marina slip owners only). That is unless you can manage to follow someone who has a key inside. I'm not sure if you got a transient if they would allow use.

$10 per launch - can handle boats of most any size (saw a triple axle with a huge cigar boat there a few yrs back).

I exclusively use this launch because of a few things:

1) Very close to the channel

2) Have to drive by beach and big lake to get to so you see wind and wave conditions first hand.

3) deeper launch - Cottage Grove has been very shallow over the last several yrs and I do not like launch at end of McCracken (eventhough that was the closest launch to my house - on the other end of McCracken). The city launches can be very busy and hard to find parking.

4) Usually very little traffic at the launch except for some pleasure boaters when pulling out.

As said (just from others info) they have not hit the channel much YET. I do expect with the big blow from the NW coming that there will be a mad dash of fish over the next several days.

The fishing by the Clipper and old paper mill is very much a here one day gone the next type of location. I've hit it good only a few times and have tried to do the channel and open water combat if possible first. Of course with bad weather choices are limited pretty much to the channel and Muskegon Lake.

With big winds coming the channel and possibly the sand docks will probably be the spots tomorrow and maybe sunday will be better for all choices.

I might make a try Sun AM and possibly one night trip next week. Once the big push of fish are through I'm usually done with the boat and take a break until the steelies start late Oct.

Oh yea - forgot to mention if you are fishing the sand docks or papermill constant navigation is a requirement due to abrupt depth changes and limited fishing area. If you only have 2 on board it can be a challenge if you get a double. If the fish are there you are guaranteed to be in serious combat mode with high possibilities of having fish run into other boats gear. Keep 'em close to you and the drags pretty tight. No need for radios you can just holler at each other.