9.6.12 It's just a freaking mess

Dave Mull

It’s just a freaking mess

If I were living in a comic book, a comet or perhaps an alien spacecraft would come over the barn where I store all my fishing and hunting stuff and the whole mess—rods, spools of line, extra downriggers, Plano 3700 tackle boxes, trolling motors, batteries, life jackets, crankbaits, docklines, anchors and spoons and plastic duck and goose decoys would all become animated, drawn together into a huge, colorful cross between a mutant porcupine and The Blob. Floating crappie lights would be the eyes while empty storage tubs and tackleboxes would be the torso, decoys would be the head and shoulders and J-Plugs the monster’s hair. Fishing rods would form the arms and legs, spoons and crankbaits, Dipsies and Jet Divers, plastic squids and tinsel flies filling in the gaps. This creature would tower over our house, goose calls, elk calls, coyote howlers and buck grunters becoming its larynx; air mattress inflators its lungs, the game calls giving it a truly horrific roar as it bristled and stumbled across farmers’ fields and blueberry swamps into Kalamazoo and beyond, striking terror into the hearts of southern Michiganders and wreaking horrible havoc across the countryside.

As I sit here writing in my family room office, I can hear all that tackle I’m intending to sort. It’s angry, and calling my name, daring me to get started.

I am organizationally challenged from the git go. I can remember Sister Theodore back in first grade applying pressure to a jiu jitsu pressure point in my shoulder (I always suspected nuns had a chart of these pressure points on the inside of their locker doors) because my desk was by far the messiest in the class. I have panic attacks just thinking about balancing a checkbook, let alone keeping track of mileage and restaurant receipts. Guys like me really should not be involved in something as gear-oriented as salmon trolling, let alone have an interest in walleyes, bass, panfish and river steelhead. That’s not to mention whitefish fishing off of piers, dog training, waterfowling and ice fishing. And a couple of tents and at least two tubs full of camping gear, a stove and a couple of lanterns are also out there.

I am not a hoarder. I just have a lot of stuff that I never use.

At times I seriously wish all I wanted to do was fly fish for trout. Or maybe just give up fishing altogether and focus on gardening. Seriously. When my friend’s 18-foot boat sank five miles out in Lake Michigan last July, leaving me, him, his 10-year-old kid and his cousin bobbing around in Lake Michigan for almost four hours before we got found, the thought occurred to me while I clung to a Coleman cooler, my only flotation: I should give up salmon fishing and waterfowl hunting. Just get rid of about 40 rods and reels, 50 decoys and a Wal-Mart tackle department worth of lures.

I’ve since reconsidered, the recent sound of a line counter reel screeching drag as a big king salmon sizzled toward the horizon bringing me to my senses. But I do have to have one helluva garage sale sometime soon.

Let me know if you need help Dave.

I'm kind of "crazy" when it comes to being organized.

I learned form someone here.:grin:

Electricians code for my rods - red, orange, yellow, green, blue

Red - one color - orange two color - yellow - three color - green 5 color - blue - full core. I put white tape on my mono lines for coho in the spring.

I even went so far as to buy a label maker this year and label my plan 3700 boxes with spoon names. One row for UV blue mango - one spot for mini, one for standard and one for mag..... etc etc.

I have the opposite problem you have.

Maybe we can form a group - talk about it (over adult beverages) and come to a middle ground.

After your incident, when you were writing about not fishing the big lakes any more. I am glad that you have been getting out and enjoying the lakes again. It didn't take you very long at all. We will have to try and get you down to Huron this fall. I know that you love ReefRunners:grin::grin:

I have lures, downriggers, rods/reels from the early 80's when I started salmon fishing with my dad! All gear is in almost like new condition as I took a few years off in high school/college (ok, chased girs etc, etc...+ my dad sold his boat)

I keep thinking I should sell some on craigslist, swap meet etc...but then I figure I might as well keep it since it's not worth much $, plus ya never know when fish will start hitting on the painted Northport Nailers!:lol:

After your incident, when you were writing about not fishing the big lakes any more. I am glad that you have been getting out and enjoying the lakes again. It didn't take you very long at all. We will have to try and get you down to Huron this fall. I know that you love ReefRunners:grin::grin:

Thanks Matt! Definitely hope to get over to Huron this fall!

That sounds great! Being able to keep track of where everything is doesn't sound like a problem to me--more like Heaven!

Dave

Let me know if you need help Dave.

I'm kind of "crazy" when it comes to being organized.

I learned form someone here.:grin:

Electricians code for my rods - red' date=' orange, yellow, green, blue

Red - one color - orange two color - yellow - three color - green 5 color - blue - full core. I put white tape on my mono lines for coho in the spring.

I even went so far as to buy a label maker this year and label my plan 3700 boxes with spoon names. One row for UV blue mango - one spot for mini, one for standard and one for mag..... etc etc.

I have the opposite problem you have.

Maybe we can form a group - talk about it (over adult beverages) and come to a middle ground.[/quote']

Perhaps you could put together another spring swap meet for the GLF guys.

I really appreciated you previous swap meets. Good way to pass along some of the stuff that seemed like a good idea when I purchased it, but no longer use.

I always say that there is not a lure made that will not catch a fisherman.