Labor Day and the Launch Ramp

Fake Bait

Because when there is a holiday.....everybody comes out to the lake!

I know better and probably should have just ignored it, but from time to time I have been known to let people know when they have committed a social injustice. In this case my quest for justice lead to me getting a talking to from the DNR. Should have just kept my mouth shut.

So Labor Day, 4:30pm at the Holland DNR launch site. There are probably 25 boats lined up to pull out for the day. Everyone is kicked back enjoying the last day of summer, patiently waiting for their turn to pull out. With one exception....

Two gentlement and their wives on Sea Doos, who I can only assume are very important people, motor on past the entire line of boats and park on the beach next to the ramp. Me wanting to think the best of people assume they will wait their turn to get their trailers and pull out. Unfortunately this is not the case.....

Just so happened that I dock and grab my truck/trailer and end up in line right behind the two guys that have line jumped. They have now created gridlock for those of us trying to get out boats out because they are waiting for the dock to open up so their wives can pull the See Doos over. The entire system comes to a screaching halt!

So... I go over to try and politely explain the system to the first of the two gentlemen in line. Who proceeds to tell me to blow myself. My reaction was not exactly one of Christian brotherly love unfortunately. Eventually his wife cuts off a boat trying to get to the ramp so he can pull See Doo #1 out.

Next, the second of the two gentlmen continues the gridlock. Back out of the truck and over to explain things to him. Fortunately this time I had the backing of everyone else at the launch site and received several encouraging cheers.

This is the point when the DNR guy shows up. He doesn't look to explain the system to the gentlemen Sea Doo drivers, but instead explains to me the importance of keeping a cool head in these situations. While he may have been right I was not interested in hearing about it at the time.

Anyways.... that is my sound off. Didn't let it ruin my day, but I sure wish common courtesy was used by everyone. Because it only takes one to screw up a good system of everyone working together to be efficient at busy launch.

Some day I am going to get a bigger boat and rent a slip right next to the DNR launch. That way I can kick back with a beer and be entertained by the launch ramp drama on a busy afternoon.

I must say it is nice from a watching perspective.. I've spent many a year waiting to launch our boat or retrieve it, only to see the biggest A** show up and think that they are the most important and must be first in line...

2 things are certain.

#1. Sailboats always are a nuisance.

#2. 2 jet skis at the launch, were definitely VIP status, GET OUT OF THE WAY.....I'M A PRETTY BIG DEAL

And, it will take them longer to land & load 2 jet skis than that of a regular boat ......

Synic....? Maybe a touch....:grin:

2 things are certain.

#1. Sailboats always are a nuisance.

#2. 2 jet skis at the launch, were definitely VIP status, GET OUT OF THE WAY.....I'M A PRETTY BIG DEAL

And, it will take them longer to land & load 2 jet skis than that of a regular boat ......

Synic....? Maybe a touch....:grin:

they need rods so we can chop theyre wood:thumb:

they need rods so we can chop theyre wood:thumb:

Not to hijack the thread, as I love the antics of a select few at the ramps....

But...

A few years back we were fishing Onekama area. 2 sailboats were heading south from Frankfort. Not sure how exactly they got right on top of us, but they did. We had to essentially turn 90* to get the heck out of their way, not 1, but 2!!!!! I think they have a secret code that involves being pompus and thinking they own the water! Under motor power they get a little bit back from me....LOL

I was on the radio in Manistee a few weeks back, I was fishing alone, and then all of the sudden I'm being closed in on by a boat. We were on a north troll with no one around for miles. Then toward dusk there was a boat right of our starboard side........I made it pretty clear on the radio that if they didn't turn I would be chopping their wood!

They turned

This year on vacation in Devils Lake, ND. Hired a guide the first day.. great day. 2 Days later we launch our boat, several people are in line, only two boats can launch at a time. While my partner is parking our truck/trailer the same guide comes flying by all the boats right to the front of the line and launches in front of those who were waiting! Well he had paying clients! He was running late! Well he was rude and inconsiderate to others. I will not hire this guy again! Great advertising on his part,

The crowd at the DNR launch is one of the reasons I avoided Holland on monday and launched out of Muskegon instead. I also figured everyone would be combat fishing and if I ran away from the piers I would have a big chunk of water to myself. Launched out of Fisherman's Landing and had no issues launching or retrieving. Our last trip out of Holland we had issues with, you guessed it, a sailboat. We were just inside the no wake zone in Big Bay when we passed a sailboat. Guy asked us where we were going. I said to the ramp to pull the boat. He said he was too, but acted all pissed. I said I would see him there. Got up close to the ramp and there were 1/2 a dozen boats idling around, waiting. I stayed back, waiting my turn. Sailboat guy pulls up right to a launch dock and ties up. Cutting in front of not only everyone waiting to pull their boats, but also everybody launching at noon on a saturday when it was 100 degrees out. He must have taken his sweet time getting his trailer because we waited out turn, got to the dock, I ran and got the truck, and he was still trying to get his sailboat on the trailer. We loaded up quick and were pulling the boat when we watched a guy try to back up a small Boston Whaler with a cargo van, back doors open. Of course he jack knifed it and took out a door. Then as we got up the ramp we saw Mr. Sailboat pull his boat out with the tiller still down. He took a large chunk off the bottom. I couldn't resist and threw a few comments his way. Surprisingly for me they were even profanity free. He got what he deserved. The Holland launch can be a zoo on weekends.

the holland launch is a nightmare not a zoo. I hate coming in. Launching isnt usually an issue. two weeks ago there were people launching in all the lanes. dnr dude was telling people to back in including retrieve lanes and telling boats coming in they had to wait. I was a little poed after waiting for two boats to launch so as soon as a boat backed out i pulled in while he was directing someone to back in and telling me i had to back out. I came in on a retrieve lane. I shut of my engine raised the outdrive and proceded to walk right past the dnr guy insisting i back out. Went and got my truck and trailer and backed around the guy he had staged. Once i did that two othe boats did the same thing. we all had an exchange with the dnr guy about that as a group. If i get qa chance i am calling lansing about that launch. If you go to any of the other high traffic launches (sterling state and bolles harbor specifically) that are state owned they typically have a guy or two just directing traffic to avoid problems. They were doing that at hooland but the manager doesnt think it is necessary with the discussion i had with her last week about this incident.

I often think about trailering my boat instead of in/out service at a marina ~ until I'm reminded of the antics of a few jerks!

I have patience for:

People having trouble getting their boat on the trailer safely before pulling out.

I don't have patience for:

Line jumpers

Those who choose to load/unload their gear while taking up the launch

People who decide to get comfortable, crack a cold one, put on lotion BEFORE pulling away from the launch

Those who try to figure out why their motor won't start while floating at the dock instead of pulling out and working on it.......

Or the guy who sits tied at the dock and puts away all his gear, checks the motor 3-4 time to ensure it is up, the trolling motor is locked down and then takes a leisurely stoll up to the bathroom for an equally leisurely time in there and then can't back his truck down because he can't see over the tail gate. Not bright enough to get out and open the gate. A buddy who could not direct a line of 3 year olds on their tricycles let alone help anyone back down.

The BEST part??? About 8-9 boats making circles with an approaching lightning storm!! On a launch that can handle 3 boats at one time. Had 2 boats recover in front of me and I still beat this jackwagon out of the launch area.

dnr dude was telling people to back in including retrieve lanes and telling boats coming in they had to wait. I was a little poed after waiting for two boats to launch so as soon as a boat backed out i pulled in while he was directing someone to back in and telling me i had to back out. .

Not quite certain this is a duty he should be doing.....

Chris

I ran out on monday after noon waiting a little after 1 to do so (hoping it would be better) Not we waited in the road for over a hour just to put in. Spent the day on the water with the family and them headed back.All I can say is the weekend worriers should stay home and leave the driving to us. spent over a hour waiting for a my turn to put up to a dock.(no DNR around) What really turned my crank was a father in a 25/27 footer going up to the dock jumping off and having his 15/16 year old son back out while he go's and get's his truck.But the thing was this kid couldn't float a boat in a bath tub if he tried.All I could see and hear is everyone in front on me giving him a load. And his mother also in the boat yelling back at everyone else. Now there is a time and place to teach our kids the in's and outs of boating and docking (but ) not a holiday when everyone whats to be on or off the lake.

I agree the $10 is a huge bargain. Considering I used to pay $75/year for state park stickers and boat launch permit. The $10 is an awesome change.

I paid $10 to launch at Grand Haven a couple weeks ago and they don't have a nice cleaning station like Holland does. I will continue to fish out of that launch 90% of the time.

I can even live with the people that don't hold the skillset to launch and retrieve their boats. They entertain me and I help out when I can. Heck, I remember a time when I was around 20 years old when I sank my trailer and car into the lake at the Reeds Lake launch in East Grand Rapids. A bunch of guys helped me get it out while I blocked the launch for a half hour. I didn't think it was funny at the time, but I be that the crowd watching thought it was hillarious.

The part that gets me worked up is people that are flat out inconsiderate. It just doesn't need to be that way. We all learn how to do things in life, but in theory we all should have learned to be considerate in kindergarten.

Wow, now I'm glad that my crew had family issues and bailed on me for fishing this past weekend. I seriously considered heading over to Holland to do a solo trip but decided that a holiday Monday was probably not a good time for solo launch & retrieve and it sounds like I was right. I may have to go buy a lotto ticket but my good luck has probably worn off.

Reeds Lake? Yeah, bad launch...especially when I forgot to undo the transom straps on the bass boat I was trying to float! Finally after pushing, swearing, and nearly submerging my S10 Blazer a guy yells "did ya remember to take off the back tie downs?"...oops.

First off I will say I don't do major holidays. Been there, done that, and don't have the patience to do it again. Jet skis, seadoos, etc are the worst offenders at the launches. At Tawas a couple years ago and attempting to get into the state docks only to have the jet skis blow past in the harbor and tie up all the docks while they sat and bs-ed and trying to decide who was to drive next. They were using them as their own personal dock with no concern of anyone launching or trying to come in to retrieve. Same scenario at Pt Sanilac, they come blasting up to the docks in a no wake zone with no concern for others. The ones at Sanilac got a not so nice verbage on no wake and what their actions did to the boats at the docks that didn't appreciate being tossed about while trying to load or unload. They just gave a dumb look and went about their horseplay.

It would be nice to have a dock attendant directing traffic at the busy launches. It certainly would curtail a lot of problems and get people in and out quickly. During the busy times at the DNR launch at the mouth of the Saginaw river I have seen the attendant there directing and getting things done smoothly.

I guess they don't teach etiquette in boating safety......it should be a mandatory item having your boat fully loaded and ready to go before you launch. Something like retesting for your drivers license. (How many do you think would fail??) Upon retrieval get the boat on the trailer and pull into the tie down lane, not just out of the launch and block it for the next half hour while you pull the drain plug, put the antenna down, stow rods, and take your gear out of the boat.

Ok,,,,now I feel better

Come on NICK

Only a few you must have had some vip riders that day. Lol

I watched a shiny new bass boat drop a guy off at the dock(sop at this ramp) . Well his truck backs in he power loads like a pro hooks up the front. Then the guy gets out of the truck and dtarts screaming at him. Every name in the book.

Dumb a%$ loaded on some one elses trailer. I guess he thought ford only made 1 grey f250 that year

We are one of those boats at Yacht Basin that watch the idiots at the launch (not all of you that launch, just the idiots). The ones that piss me off more than anything - probably because I think a boat should only be used for fishing - are the power boaters. They show up at prime time and "tune" their engines at the launch while traffic stacks up. MAN - that pisses me off and I'm not even trying to use the launch.

Come on NICK

Only a few you must have had some vip riders that day. Lol

I watched a shiny new bass boat drop a guy off at the dock(sop at this ramp) . Well his truck backs in he power loads like a pro hooks up the front. Then the guy gets out of the truck and dtarts screaming at him. Every name in the book.

Dumb a%$ loaded on some one elses trailer. I guess he thought ford only made 1 grey f250 that year

Now that is funny!