Welcome Dave Mull

Dave Mull has joined our website and has agreed to help out. Dave will be a HUGE asset to the website. If you have ever read a salmon fishing article, there is a REALLY good chance it was written by Dave. Dave also does the sporting shows during the off season and puts on a fantastic salmon clinic! :thumb:

Please welcome Dave to our team at Great Lakes Fisherman. :thumb:

Ok Dave???? I know I've already welcomed you to this site, but now I'm concerned, Here's why:

I just read your profile on Great Lakes Angler and it states "thanks to my bride, have learned what fun it is to have chickens."....OMG I cannot tell you how much this concerns me, because my Bride wants to have Chickens as well, and I don't know why.

Getting off the Grid and self sufficiency is one of our goals, but I don't want NO Chickens, not to mention we have Coyotes on our land that come by once in awhile... Hello..... doesn't anyone know that yotes' eat chickies....

Please for my sake explain this Chicken phenomena to me, so that I may to understand what I'm Trying so hard to stay out of....

I feel the only true place for a chicken, is on the rotisserie and right next to the mashed tatoes on my plate...

Tell me I don't need help... please..explain

Boltman, if you like animals, I'm betting you will grow to really like chickens. I never in a million years would have guessed I would be part of a family that owns some (we're up to around 30 with 10 new surprise arrivals). They are hugely entertaining and keep the yard (not to mention six dogs--only one brought by me into the union) free of ticks. My veggie garden is pretty insect free, too.

It's great to have lots of eggs--don't really want to do the math to figure out if, with the price of cracked corn and "layer crumbles" we're saving any money--the people my wife gives the excess to certainly are. Problem is we're real softies and all the birds have names. When they retire from laying, they get to stick around instead of becoming stew. My suggestion is to not name any of your birds unless you use names such as "Ms. Sunday Dinner," "Soup" or "Barbie Cue." Not to say my wife has a problem (although I constantly envision a film crew in a van with "Animal Planet's Animal Hoarders"

emblazoned on the side pulling up our driveway--we've also got three goats, two rabbits, three ducks, a goose, six cats and a goldfish--I mentioned I brought a dog into this marriage, right?) but she's started bringing handicapped chickens into the fold. Last trip to the animal swap she brought home three healthy chickens and Esther, a young black chicken with one good leg and a twisted beak. Will post a photo wherever that sort of thing is allowed to be posted on this site!

More advice: Get your better half to agree to say, four chickens that are for sure chickens. We got a half dozen supposedly pre-sexed chickens and one of them grew up to be a rooster. Hence the 10 new babies. But I gotta tell you, Benny is pretty cool and I'm a little jealous of how often he has conjugal relations.

We've lost some to predators and it's a terrible thing, but hey, they're just chickens and with any luck that really brazen coyote that just stares at Kathy when she waves the broom and screams at him when he pops through the brush line in the back yard will be adorning our wood floor by the end of winter. I've named him "Rug."

If you want some more chicken advice, feel free to ask, but probably best in a private message!

Dave

Ok Dave???? I know I've already welcomed you to this site, but now I'm concerned, Here's why:

I just read your profile on Great Lakes Angler and it states "thanks to my bride, have learned what fun it is to have chickens."....OMG I cannot tell you how much this concerns me, because my Bride wants to have Chickens as well, and I don't know why.

Getting off the Grid and self sufficiency is one of our goals, but I don't want NO Chickens, not to mention we have Coyotes on our land that come by once in awhile... Hello..... doesn't anyone know that yotes' eat chickies....

Please for my sake explain this Chicken phenomena to me, so that I may to understand what I'm Trying so hard to stay out of....

I feel the only true place for a chicken, is on the rotisserie and right next to the mashed tatoes on my plate...

Tell me I don't need help... please..explain

Edited by Dave Mull