2 hook meat rig problem.

Just wondering if anyone using John King's 2 hook meat rigs are having problems with after a salmon hits and the trailing hook going up and over the first hook and onto the leader (tangling the hooks together)and causing you to lose fish. I've lost fish right behind the boat and have also had a release and brought the rig in and the hooks were tangled with each other causing the fish to not get hooked.

This has happened to me 4 or 5 times now. So I'm going to retie them with one hook.

I have ran them for 3 years without a problem.Iif you get rid of 1 of the hooks it only stands to reason your gonna miss more fish with half the hooks. Are you running strips? maybe your not getting a good hook up at first what do you use for releases?

I have only had a salmon have the meat rig just inside the mouth. I use the walker releases that look like a tube of chapstick. But like I said every fish that I lose the hooks are tangled together and the line in between the hooks is kinked and has a curve in it so the back hook will tangle again on the next fish. So I then have to waste fishing time and retie.

I would bet its the releases if your fishing meat the hooks should be swallowed your not hooking up quick enough and something is happening with the hooks then. Like I said 3 years no problem. Or maybe if your running strips the hooks not being in the bait and just flailing around are it. They will work with one hook in the heat of the bite when a hook breaks off in the net i will run 1 hook meat rigs till I get time to retie.

I doubt it's the release I have run walkers for years with meat rigs without a problem if your hookup ratio is poor it can be the speed you are pulling your rigs at and there are days no matter what you are running spoons, flashers that the fish just don't hit that aggresively and don't hook up.As far as the line being caught between the lead hook it is usually when the fish is only hooked on the back hook and turns sideways that forces the mono between the hook, some people place a drop of glue in the gap to keep that from happening , hope that helps.

been runnin johns stuff for only one season ... no problems ... but i had good guidence

wouldn't cut one of his hooks off ... i got some editting to due in the off season to one of his rigs ... but it was my own fault ... full moon 12 am big king in the net ... snapped a hook trying to get it out in a hurry

I guess if someone would have something go wrong with something it would be me. I've had to retie it 3 times already. And I only fish once a week. I do troll at 1.6-1.9. The 1.6 is when we are binging a fish in and sometimes get a hit going that speed.