Bad day in Manistee

EdB

img_20120825_210410.jpg

http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news/66800-boat-hits-manistee-south-pier-several-injured

120825061314_MANISTEEBOAT.JPG

Saturday morning around 6am, the Manistee City Police and Fire Department responded to a 911 call reference a boat hitting the 1st St. Pier (South Pier). The original call came in with information that there were possibly two subjects seriously injured. A preliminary investigation shows that the 1997 Bahacruise 27ft Fiberglass Boat, owned and operated by a subject from Custer, MI was leaving the port of Manistee sometime close to 6:00am. It appears at this time, the operator failed to navigate the vessel outside the pier heads and crashed into the South Pier. Two of the passengers on this vessel were transported to West Shore Medical Center, where they in turn were transported to Munson Medical Center. At this time one is listed in Critical Condition and one in Serious Condition. A total of 7 passengers were on board this vessel. Alcohol does not appear to be a factor in this boating accident. The Manistee City Police and Fire Department was assisted by the West Shore Medical Center Ambulance and the United States Coast Guard Manistee Station. The vessel was to be removed sometime Sunday morning.

OUCH. Good thing everyone is ok. Had that happened on a rough water day that could have been much worse.

As I understand it, that's the INSIDE of the harbor wall. Never gets too choppy in there. Takes a skilled skipper to pull that off, although it's the 2nd time in recent history. Last one was a charter boat as I recall maybe a year or two ago.

No excuse for this happening..

Has any one else noticed that the last 7 pier parkings were enclosed cabins and low lught and fog.

I wonder if its a glar issue on the wi.dshields from interior lights.

i do not have a wind shield and can see the dark section of the pier at night with no problem.

I got to see a aluminum cabin boat almost clear up & over the south pier between the light and shore. I just have a hard time comprehending something like this

No excuse for this happening..

Has any one else noticed that the last 7 pier parkings were enclosed cabins and low lught and fog.

I wonder if its a glar issue on the wi.dshields from interior lights.

i do not have a wind shield and can see the dark section of the pier at night with no problem.

I got to see a aluminum cabin boat almost clear up & over the south pier between the light and shore. I just have a hard time comprehending something like this

Good Point Steve. Every pick of boats on piers seem to be hardtop fiberglass. I guess if ur gonna park there ya wanna be comfy!!!