chris craft?

If you are looking at a boat that old, you need to have it surveyed by a qualified marine surveyor. It is very important to know if the stringers or transom are sound or if they are rotted. It will cost a few hundred bucks but is worth it.

If the transom and stringers are sound, the catalina's are a really fine boat for all around water use. They can be used as a fishing boat too. The Chris Craft family of boats are top drawer boats that used to be built in Holland Michigan. The Chris family still build boats under the Tiara banner if I am not mistaken.

The Chris family still build boats under the Tiara banner if I am not mistaken.

Leon Slicker originally worked for Chris Craft, before starting Slickcraft.

He sold out to AMF, and later started Tiara. He bought the Slickraft name back from AMF when they called it quits.

As far as I know there is no connection with the Chris name and Tiara.

The Slicker family still runs Tiara, and the boats are still built in Holland.

I have never heard any thing bad about Chris Craft boats.

He sold out to AMF, and later started Tiara. He bought the Slickraft name back from AMF when they called it quits.

This is exactly correct, no direct connection between the 2 companies. Chris Craft have been great boats, as long as it has a solid core It will be a good choice.

A good marine surveyor goes thru the entire boat from hull, to engine, to interior, to all safety equipment, with tooth and nail detail. It may take upwards of 3 hours or more, depending on the size of the boat and condition. Mr. John Watson of Manistee has literally done hundreds of charter and pleasure boats alike, he's also ex DNR inspector for charter boats for many years. Chris Craft had a big name in manufacturing boats from the turn of the last century to the present, based in Holland, Michigan for many decades. I still have mine, had several before, and dad also had them, a tradition of well made boats that take big water and last a lifetime, if kept up properly. Be cautious and astute to the surveyors report, a boat this old, about 40 years, is not always kept up as well as it should be, personally, I'd try for a 90's and newer boat if possible. Good luck and happy hunting.

My Bad I knew that Slickcraft was bought by AMF, too bad they were working mans boat, well built and not too expensive. I misunderstood the Chris and Tiara connection.