Newbie question about paddles/flies

I'm a relative newbie...started fishing the big pond 2 years ago but have mainly used spoons/plugs because of ease and knowledge. :confused: I see a lot written about paddles and flies and I have some questions. When is it best to use that set up? Do depths matter or do you use that at all depths? do you use the standard fly length or is it modified? How do you know when to use spoons/plugs/flies? I have 2 lead core rods, 2 dipsy rods and 4 downriggers. Do flies work better on any particular rod? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on taking 2 of my boys out labor day weekend...probably at Whithall. Thanks! It has been so great reading and learning from all your experiences. :thumb:

Well, they work on lead core and divers and downriggers and time

to use them can be any given day, they always catch fish for me and i would not go without they are a great lure for salmon, sure there are days when they only want spoons or even like j's but i

always use them and have had plenty luck on most every set-up with them. Try the big spinnies w/white glow and pickle sunshine

fly or no-see-ums, or puffy fly, plenty to choose from and when the bite is on you can't go to wrong running spiinie and fly combo's. I run the big spinnie on riggers and smaller 8" spinnie and fly on my leadcore's or copper setup. And also on divers. Good

luck. Tt

As far as lengths go, when using 8" spin doctor types, I try to have the leader be about 2.5 times the length of the blade (~20"). If it's an 11" paddle style I go at least 3-3.5 times the length of the blade (33-38"). I think some people fish these even a little bit longer than that.

When is it best to use that set up?

I always have a couple out at least on two divers.

Do depths matter or do you use that at all depths?

from the surface to the bottom

do you use the standard fly length or is it modified? 18-24 on small paddles/spin doctors

24-36 on large paddles/ spin doctors

I am starting to run them on the shorter side again.

How do you know when to use spoons/plugs/flies?

spoons early spring through the whole season

flashers flies all the time starting for cohos with mini spinnies and peanut flies

plugs end of july till i pull the boat

I have 2 lead core rods, 2 dipsy rods and 4 downriggers. Do flies work better on any particular rod?

I run them on anything just depends what the fish wants. off my riggers i run them about 20 ft back from the ball. this last saturday my best setup was a 300 copper with a mountain dew spin doctor 8" with a pickled sunshine fly 18 inches from the loop in the knot to the end of the hook.

IF the water sets back up for labor day weekend i would be looking at running more plugs. green w black ladderback is my go to, then wonder bread and silver with the red nose.