Dipsy drag setting

Hey fellas,

Rookie here wants to know about the best place to set your drag when running Mag dipsys. 40lb power pro is my main line, 30lb mono leader with rip cord snubbers. My rods are actually muskie rods(stiff) with Magda pro reels(this is all I have at the time being). We lost our only two rips Sat. They were on for about 15 seconds then off. We tightened the drags down after losing the first fish only to lose the second! Any info/tips are much appreciated. Thanks!

set the drags just tight enough that they dont creep out, when you hook up the first thing i do is loosen the drag before pulling the rod out of the holder ,this alows a smoother removal from the rod holder, that is when you can loose most of your fish ,getting the rod out. if you are getting bit and the fish are coming off before you get to the rod they are short striking or grabing the flasher ot the front of the flie and not hooking up good. to solve this issue you can speed up just a tick or change your angle of troll, that makes the fish hit from a different direction and thus getting hooked better. just myu 2 cents worth good luck.

Jim is spot on, keep the drag just as he said and let them take line until you feel a good, solid hookup. The dipsey's are such a direct connection you need to have the cushion that the rigger hit on mono gives you. That's the best way I can explain it. The drag has to take the place of the stretch you get with mono. But a wire dipsey can be the best ride on the boat!

Thanks guys! Im a muskie guy, and member of the Michigan Muskie Alliance but a recent outing aboard the "Fine Line" got me geekin on salmon fishing! I only run dipsys at this time and Im trying to learn as much as I can about them. Thanks to all for the info!

Welcome to the site, Kelly. You can learn a lot here for sure. I just started fishing on the big lake in May and couldn't catch a cold. Thanks to these guys I no longer go out expecting to get skunked. Not sure where your located, but I can't recommend enough taking some of the offers people post looking for riders. You can't beat the learning experience you get hands on from an experienced fisherman.

If you make a hard turn and the dipsey on the opposite side of where your turning clicks a little you got them just right. The guy that got me started always said you should be able to take two fingers and lift up on the line just about the reel and get some line out.

Otherwise its too tight.

Also if you can remember, loosen the drag a touch when you get a monster hit.

It will make it easier to get the rod out of the holder and lower the chance of the fish ripping the hooks out of its mouth.

Too many times we wrestle it loose and when it comes free the rod drops back at the fish pulling hard and there gone right there.

yea, bluecolleroutdoors has it just right. but i have mine set loose enough that the waves hitting me from the back will sometimes slip the line out just alittle. its much better to have them to loose than to tight. you have a big hole of water out there to fight the fish. its not like fishing around a bunch of structure you have to keep the fish out of.

sherman