Fishing the Holland area 8/23-25 new to area

My wife and I, along with another couple are heading up to Holland to relax and do some fishing. I have never fished in this area and am looking for some advice on where to launch and fish as well as what is working. I grew up in Il. and have fished the Waukegan area quite a bit so I'm not new to salmon fishing. I know the winds have turned the lake over and the fish are scattered at this point so I'm hopping things settle down by next Thurs. We will be staying between Holland and Grand Haven. I have a 21' boat ready to chase after some fish.

I appreciate the reports I have been reading and will be thankful for any input I recieve. What channel do you listen to in this area. I'm usually on 68 on the Il. side. I go by nk_jim and my boat is the "Jimmy Rig". I live in New Knoxville, Ohio so that's where I get the nk.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

If you are staying south of Grand Haven you can launch at Port Sheldon which is south of Grand Haven near the Campbell Power Plant. You can also launch at the DNR site on Lake Macatawa in Holland on the North side of the lake near the Holland State Park. The run out to Lake Michigan is much shorter out of Port Sheldon, but the site in Holland has a very nice fish cleaning station. Most of the fisherman are on channel 68. I would be happy to share any info while fishing but I am going to Ludington and fishing there.

Dutch Levee, Rog

Fishing out of Holland as of yesterday was best in 180-210 FOW. I'm hoping this NW blow will cool it down a bit and bring them in closer by the time you get here.

You can launch out of the State launch off Ottawa Beach Rd. It is a nice launch and has the best fish cleaning station in the area. Be mindful of the buoys as there are no wake zones and shallow areas in Lake Macatawa. You could also launch out of Port Sheldon which is between Holland and Grand Haven.

VHF channel 68 is monitored by most fisherman.

Can always call Aaron at Lakeshore Outfitters for a fishing report. 269 857-2248

Best of Luck

I fish out of Port Sheldon. Never been out of Holland. Cleaning station would be a benefit for an "out-of-towner".. I can tell you that the trip out to the pond is quick and painless out of port sheldon. Fishing up to last weeks event has been pretty solid in the 70'-120' range. Good luck with your trip and be safe..

I'm thinking that 200' is approximately 10 miles out. Not sure though, some of the true veterans may be able to pin it more accurate for you...Headed out in the morning for a quick trip, will let you know how we did. Holland buoy shows 70 deg water temp down to 67'....looks like we may start out deep.

Blues and greens always seem to work. Fishing is usually 4-8 miles offshore depending on water temperature. If its a nice day or a weekend there will be a pack of boats that you can usually fish in the general area of and find fish.

Grand Haven launch is on the North side before you get to the draw bridge, I don't think there is a fish cleaning station. I usually fish out of Port Sheldon and I just happened to check how far 200' of water is from the pier heads today. 7.6 mi. according to where I was. We went 1 for 3. 1 nice king on a rigger down 145 in 159 ft. of water. Mountain dew flasher fly. Still a little slow out there.

Where is the launch at Grand Haven? Do they have a cleaning station there? Thanks for the help!

nk_jim

Your better off just fishing out of Holland. Fish cleaning station, and nice DNR launch, and close to the lake.

The fishing is not likely to change much this week. The fish are way out in 160-240 fow, and down 100-140'.

White/glow taped 11" paddles, and mirage type flies. The fish are nice sized, and quite spunky when the come up.

Lakeshore outfitters can help you out if needed.

There is a lot of current coming out of the south rite now. Your South troll will be much slower on the gps than the North troll.