Fiberglass or Aluminum

thenewf

Good Day, New guy here. I have been trolling this site for a couple of weeks now looking for a boat, a few have caught me eye, but I am having a hard time deciding on the hull. Looking for the pros and cons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

Aluminum. You can pull it anywhere & they're pretty easy to do major repairs. I sometimes fish weather that charters won't take customers out in. 18 foot aluminum handles just fine. You just ride on top of the waves which some people don't enjoy. I would just make sure if you're going to salmon fishing its a deeper boat & the back isn't open.

Really, its all about what you're going to do. If you want to get a slip & camp out at a port. You want a glass boat. If your wife wants to go out. You probably want a glass boat. If your wife wants to go out but you don't want her to go out. Get an aluminum boat. If you're only going to go out when the weather is nice. An aluminum will do just fine. If you're limited on what days you can go out and so you're probably going to go out no matter what you're probably looking more at glass.

Fixing a transom on an aluminum boat is pretty easy. Swapping out the floor is also pretty easy. It'll cost you 2-3x more on a glass boat and its a lot more work.

The only way I would buy a Aluminum boat is if I give up big lake fishing. Or at least cut back so much it don't matter. The exception would be a Hewes Craft Ocean Pro 260 it is alum and a great big water boat. Alum is cheaper to run and easier to tow but cuts your days on the water down and beats you up if you have to run fast. Being able to run on plane in 2 to 4ft waves and not being to beat up to fish is a great plus.

:thumb:

The only way I would buy a Aluminum boat is if I give up big lake fishing. Or at least cut back so much it don't matter. The exception would be a Hewes Craft Ocean Pro 260 it is alum and a great big water boat. Alum is cheaper to run and easier to tow but cuts your days on the water down and beats you up if you have to run fast. Being able to run on plane in 2 to 4ft waves and not being to beat up to fish is a great plus.

:thumb: i have 5 months in my new ocean pro and love it.it eats the rough water up and the hardtop is warm and dry.i can also tow it anywhere i want no problem.

Thank you everybody for your responses. To answer a few questions; my tow vehicle is a 05 Chevy 1/2 ton, I live about 3 hours away from Lake O

but I do have a place to store it there. My main goal is salmon and trout, and maybe eventually start in on tournaments.

I have seen some that I like but, the price is way out of the norm, both high and low, compared to others. Everybody likes a good deal, but what is the catch on the super low ones.

Thanks again for your responses and keep your lines tight.

My boat is a 20' Tiara. It can be towed with a 1/2 ton truck, and handles the water just fine. The way it is set up the cost is around 5.5-6.5k. Shy away fron older Bayliners, and older boats with OMC outdrives (the white ones).

What is your budget?

My boat.

My boat is a 20' Tiara. It can be towed with a 1/2 ton truck, and handles the water just fine. The way it is set up the cost is around 5.5-6.5k. Shy away fron older Bayliners, and older boats with OMC outdrives (the white ones).

What is your budget?

My boat.

shy away from new bayliners also..i can attest to the lack of craftsmanship..ie a split hull on a 2005..and dont expect insurance(progressive)or bayliner to give a crap about it either