Oh sure I buy a boat and hear about all this wonderful fishing all summer long, I go out for the first time and notta. I suppose technically we went 0/1. Maybe it’s just me being ultra-green newbie who has no clue what he is doing. I even did my best to learn your lingo, I studied up on methods and techniques. Two months ago I had no idea why you wanted dirty ice on a boat, or that moonshine wonderbread was a lure.

Here’s the story. We launched at Port Sheldon I was nervous being my first time launching my new to me boat there, and the previous owner had told me that people will give you a hard time if you aren’t super-fast and efficient launching. However the launch went very smoothly. We were on the water with all six lines running at about 5:30 ish. We started on a northwest troll in about 50 feet of water and worked out to 115. Then long sweeping turn and straight south troll in 75 feet all the way back. We basically ran 30-40 foot deep gear until deeper water and then switched to 50-70 foot deep gear. 4 Downriggers with blue dolphin, mixed veggies, wonderbread, and a purple/black, 1 dipsey and 1 clear/blue flasher with blue fly on full lead core set 130 feet back. The green-yellow dispey was 180 feet back with moonshine flounder pounder.

We did get one strike but the steelhead used his cute little fins and untied the knot on the spoon & swivel. He did provide us some nice jumps before he decided he had enough. So if you see a fish out there with a flounder pounder dangling like a lip piercing, give him my best.

To top it off someone hit my trailer in the parking lot and crinkled my fender all up. So is it our gear selection? Our depth of gear? Our depth of water? I heard some radio chatter about success at 170-200 feet of water but we didn’t have that kind of time to make it out there. Or is that just why they call it fishing and not catching? Even with no fish hooked, I am…I will be back out to try it again real soon, because that is just too much fun. I can’t wait for a day when the reels are going crazy.

Oh sure I buy a boat and hear about all this wonderful fishing all summer long, I go out for the first time and notta. I suppose technically we went 0/1. Maybe it’s just me being ultra-green newbie who has no clue what he is doing. I even did my best to learn your lingo, I studied up on methods and techniques. Two months ago I had no idea why you wanted dirty ice on a boat, or that moonshine wonderbread was a lure.

Here’s the story. We launched at Port Sheldon I was nervous being my first time launching my new to me boat there, and the previous owner had told me that people will give you a hard time if you aren’t super-fast and efficient launching. However the launch went very smoothly. We were on the water with all six lines running at about 5:30 ish. We started on a northwest troll in about 50 feet of water and worked out to 115. Then long sweeping turn and straight south troll in 75 feet all the way back. We basically ran 30-40 foot deep gear until deeper water and then switched to 50-70 foot deep gear. 4 Downriggers with blue dolphin, mixed veggies, wonderbread, and a purple/black, 1 dipsey and 1 clear/blue flasher with blue fly on full lead core set 130 feet back. The green-yellow dispey was 180 feet back with moonshine flounder pounder.

We did get one strike but the steelhead used his cute little fins and untied the knot on the spoon & swivel. He did provide us some nice jumps before he decided he had enough. So if you see a fish out there with a flounder pounder dangling like a lip piercing, give him my best.

To top it off someone hit my trailer in the parking lot and crinkled my fender all up. So is it our gear selection? Our depth of gear? Our depth of water? I heard some radio chatter about success at 170-200 feet of water but we didn’t have that kind of time to make it out there. Or is that just why they call it fishing and not catching? Even with no fish hooked, I am…I will be back out to try it again real soon, because that is just too much fun. I can’t wait for a day when the reels are going crazy.

Keep trying I have been fishing the big pond since the early 1970's and we still have days that the action is slow. Overall this summer has been fantastic, the Steelhead fishing has really been hot and the Kings are going to be schooling soon on the southern Lake. Keep it up Watch your speed, and be sure there are fish in the water you are fishing. Lake turnover has screwed everyone up this week. So u are not alone on the slow fishing.

Hey just read youre post. Like SUPERTRAMP said it best hang in there. Something Ive learned is not to be afraid to change up gear and depth,dont just assume fish are going to be in same spot as day before.Reading these post is so very helpful but be aware, 1 day wind change can change fish pattern and water temp. I recommend getting a FISH HAWK so you know the actual temp youre fishing in and watch carefully everyday wind direction. One last thing. Let the fish tell you what they want, change colors,watch youre speed. Ive caught many a fish when turning my boat,keep a eye on which side hits,inside pole,slow speed down,outside pole,speed boat up.Just some words of wisdom,hope will help.Good luck.

Here’s the story. We launched at Port Sheldon I was nervous being my first time launching my new to me boat there, and the previous owner had told me that people will give you a hard time if you aren’t super-fast and efficient launching. However the launch went very smoothly. We were on the water with all six lines running at about 5:30 ish. We started on a northwest troll in about 50 feet of water and worked out to 115. Then long sweeping turn and straight south troll in 75 feet all the way back. We basically ran 30-40 foot deep gear until deeper water and then switched to 50-70 foot deep gear. 4 Downriggers with blue dolphin, mixed veggies, wonderbread, and a purple/black,
[quote name='Archery720']Oh sure I buy a boat and hear about all this wonderful fishing all summer long, I go out for the first time and notta.  I suppose technically we went 0/1. Maybe it’s just me being ultra-green newbie who has no clue what he is doing. I even did my best to learn your lingo, I studied up on methods and techniques.  Two months ago I had no idea why you wanted dirty ice on a boat, or that moonshine wonderbread was a lure. 
1 dipsey and 1 clear/blue flasher with blue fly on full lead core set 130 feet back

. The green-yellow dispey was 180 feet back with moonshine flounder pounder.

Andy and Gary, Welcome to the site.

Andy, it will get better.

A lot of times when every one else is getting fish an you are not, it can be a speed issue. Find a porcupine (boat with lots of rods out) and match his speed.

I like to run 2.8-2.9 on the Gps.

Generally troll direction is best going South in that area. If I was going out, I would set up deep going North, and turn and go South/South East as prime time rolls around. It is best to be going South durring prime time (prime time is just after the sun hits the water).

The water really got messed up last week, and the lake is in the process of setting back up. Next time out try motoring out to 70 fow, put the boat on a SW troll till you start hitting fish, then stay in that zone.

Jplugs/Ace Hi plugs have been really good lately.

Find a Green with Black Ladder Back Ace Hi and it will get fish for you.

Any pictures of the new to you boat?

Hang in there and yes one day the reels will scream for ya. I was skunked once this year without even a release, that was after I caught 10 in the same spot the previous morning. Pay attention to your graff and boats around you. If your not marking fish and you don't see people around you catching fish pull and move. I have spent way to much time trolling around and changing baits. Now I take the time and move.

Direction can make a difference! Tues AM we had a current moving north that caused a difference of .6-.9 mph on the down speed. Had to slow down going south, speed up going north to keep consistent lure action. Cross-current took some bites as well. If you don't have the down speed/temp, watch your dipsy rod, listen to your cables hum and watch the blowback on the rigger weights from different directions.

Trolling is a huge science experiment with so many variables it is tough to control them! Thankfully the primary variable--fish--are almost always hungry and many of them are not too selective about what they smack...as long as it goes by at a speed and direction that appears natural! :confused:

I won't say it gets "easier" with experience, but the experience allows you to rule out factors to fine tune what the fish will best respond to, when you find them, on any given day! EMBRACE THE MADNESS!

Thanks for the post Andy. I have fished all my life, but never for salmon on the big pond in my own boat until this year. I have found this site to be an excellent tool to learn tips that have taken people many years to perfect. I can relate to your frustration, but can't wait to get back out and wash lures again. I fish out of Port Sheldon also.

Hey just read youre post. Like SUPERTRAMP said it best hang in there. Something Ive learned is not to be afraid to change up gear and depth,dont just assume fish are going to be in same spot as day before.Reading these post is so very helpful but be aware, 1 day wind change can change fish pattern and water temp. I recommend getting a FISH HAWK so you know the actual temp youre fishing in and watch carefully everyday wind direction. One last thing. Let the fish tell you what they want, change colors,watch youre speed. Ive caught many a fish when turning my boat,keep a eye on which side hits,inside pole,slow speed down,outside pole,speed boat up.Just some words of wisdom,hope will help.Good luck.

If you don't have funds for the fishhawk. You can check both the Holland & Muskegon bouy. The give temp st different depths or just ask on the radio where the temp break us at.

Keep at it. Watch for looking for a rider posts. You can pick up a lot of good ideas

Perhaps I was hard to understand. I am not frustrated or discouraged. I had a blast even with no fish. I am more upset about the trailer than anything. I can't wait to get back out there and give it another go. I have already replaced the flounder pounder, so I can wash that one too! I am used to this, I always seem to be out-fished or out-hunted, that's ok, that is not what makes it a sucessful outing to me.

It appears as in order to post a photo you need to have them hosted somewhere, correct? Since it asks for a URL.

These guys have said it all very well.

Some nights you just need to crack open a beer, Relax and enjoy the sunset.

We all like to catch fish but its not all about numbers. Its about good times with friends and family.

Besides, Salmon is still my least favorite fish to eat.

You should try finding someone that would take you under their wing and help you out. I have been fishing out there for a few years but I had people show me what to do. And learn from chartering boats. I still dont know all and never will the time spent has alot to do with it too. Good Luck