Rain suit selection

Ok, been looking at rainsuits. I am looking for a bibs/parka combination that can be worn primarily for nasty weather in spring and fall, but occasionally in summer when weather calls for it. I was thinking about purchasing a size or two large so that it can fit over heavier clothing for cold weather fishing. I havbe been looking at ones at Cabelas (guide series gortex), Gander Mt. (Tech2 guide series), and others. Willing to spend upwards of $250 or more for quality. Lets hear the good and ugly of your favorites.

I have a guide wear jacket that I purchased in 1997! It still keeps me bone dry (cept I get a little around my neck because I keep it open a lot) The outside shell was absorbing some water ( again not letting me get wet) I washed it in the NikWax wash that they now recommend and it beads water like a freshly waxed car! I have no personal experience but have heard bad reports on tech h2o( the gander brand)

It is actually the one in my profile pic. That day it was 22 degrees and snowed 1-2 inches in the boat. The main motor froze in the straight position (old boat with cable steer) I had to steer with my trolling motor:cool: Man the fish were biting though:grin:

I have the tech h2o and the bass pro not sure what it is called but same thing laminated materail camo rain suit. the bass pro seems to breathe better with less sweating when warm then the h2o also i got mine larger to wear over my hunting clothes and the bass pro is roomier the the h20. i got the h2o at the gander closout store before it went out of business whole suit for 75 bucks so i coulndt pass on it. No experience with the cabelas brand.

I currently have Guidewear from Cabela's and am happy with it. Lance Valentine just posted a message today saying he had a new line of rain gear he is selling in his store that sounds pretty good. Might be worth checking out. Lance is a great guy too! His web site is: www.walleye101.com Here is the link to a video on what Lance is selling in his store.

Happy Shopping!

Paul C.

Edited by cliftp
Add link to rain gear

It might be too warm but I love my Mustang Survival coat and bibs. Amazing quality. Plus, it acts as a flotation device and increases your cold water survival time if you wind up in the drink, which is a huge increase in peace of mind when fishing in cold water.

I got a carhartt waterproof breathable coat + pants. like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Waterproof-Breathable-Black-Regular/dp/B000H95XGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345080040&sr=8-1&keywords=carhartt+c72

http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Waterproof-Breathable-Black-Regular/dp/B001CG84NQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1345080634&sr=1-1&keywords=carhartt+waterproof+pants

I don't really recommend it. The coat liner doesn't include the arms. Its like a vest which is awesome to use w/o the coat. But in the winter time your arms freeze to death. So you got to throw on an extra hoodie under it or your arms freeze to death. The rest of the year its nice. The sizing is kinda off too. One size is too big. The next size down is way too small.

I'd personally look into something else. Looks like some great recommendations so far. Just thought i'd throw this out there to keep anyone from making the mistake.

Nick, Jason, that is exactly what I have done in the past. Purchased large enough to go over my carharts (frog toggs). I am hoping that I can purchase a quality suit, just large enough to go over insulated layers of clothing, short of carharts, and still stay warm and dry. I spoke with Lance V. on FB last night and may stop by his place tonight on my way to Holland to check out the Gills stuff. Thanks for all of the replys guys.

I found a Wohali rain jacket at Gander Mountain this spring that was on sale for $75. It's non-insulated but I wear it with a couple of sweaters and wore it all spring brown fishing. Very wind/rain proof. The only issue I had with it was one of the velcro pieces started coming loose but all of the other ones seam very sturdy still.

I have the Gander version and have been very happy with them. Got mine at an end of year sale a few years back. At the time much less expensive than the cabelas version.

Like a few others have said, buy big so you can layer for cold weather. I actually use mine for snow skiing as well. My wife hates that, but she figures it is better than me making good on my threat to wear the blaze orange camo. I am too cheap to buy a ski jacket when there are many more lures to buy.....

I have the Gander version and have been very happy with them. Got mine at an end of year sale a few years back. At the time much less expensive than the cabelas version.

Like a few others have said, buy big so you can layer for cold weather. I actually use mine for snow skiing as well. My wife hates that, but she figures it is better than me making good on my threat to wear the blaze orange camo. I am too cheap to buy a ski jacket when there are many more lures to buy.....

Made me smile this morning. Thanks!

Paul C.

i like frogtoggs thier uper end stuff is very durable i fish in all kinds of weather never get wet very wind proof and very durable frist ones i found that have stayed waterproof and held up to the punishment i put them through not bad on price

It can be a bit expensive but I love my northface brand rain jacket. It's waterproof, has a hood, wind proof, light enough to wear when its a bit warmer, and dead sexy at the docks (ok so the last part I made up). If its chilly I'm a diehard believer in under armor. I work outside year round and have found the under armor cold gear is by far superior to anything else. As for lowers, I always wear the good old constuction style yellow bibs if its that nasty...not always that stylish at the dock. Best of luck in your search... By the way, my Grady is back up for sale, (the one you looked at near Unionville). New fuel tank and fuel lines and new decks, it's time to get a big boat again for me.