Minimum fow to set copper

NBK

The past couple times out I've set my 300 copper(32 lb blood run) in 80 fow while trolling out, and both times it came up with muscles. I even had a spin doctor and fly on it one of the times, figuring the added drag would keep it from hitting bottom. I'm assuming this is happening while I free spool the board back out and around the dipsy. So my question is what is the minimum fow you would set a 300 copper in, and are there any techniques to prevent it from dropping to the bottom while setting it? Thanks!

I've set mine in as shallow as 70 feet. Don't do it all the time-much prefer 80 and over for the reasons you state. We've learned to speed up the boat a bit when in relatively shallow water to the dive depth of any longline. Or let it back a lot slower than you do now.

Pick the method that keeps the most of your baits in the correct speed range for the longest time while minimizing any chance of a tangle if you hook up while deploying a long line.

Had it happen twice-it can be ugly!

Might be what Don is talking about.

We ran 300 coppers (45lb morgans) in 65fow this weekend and while we did manage to drag a laker up, we didn't have zeebs. We were going about 2.7sog, which is where we like it. I like to try to be in 45fow for full cores, 60fow before I even think about 300 coppers.

How fast r u trolling? If u r trolling below 2 mph u will drag 45# copper in 80 FOW. I usually set lines at around 2.5 mph and then adjust until I find the speed that works. In July we were fishing at around 3.7 to 4.1 mph and killing Steelhead. Only problem we had was keeping them hooked up. If u r letting slack into your copper at any speed it will sink too fast . I haven't gone to 32# just because it is too close to Lead core I use the 45# and like super copper. 200' and 300' have always worked well for us.

Ludington-huge numbers of fish staging to run up the Pere Marquett river and also the Sable river to the north. Many great spots to fish that will allow you to avoid the "combat fishing". Lots of boats in the area over that weekend-including me!! Good Luck!