Munising Bay 1st week of September?

Going to be in the Munising area 1st week of September and I am wondering if fisihing Munising Bay in my 16.5' walleye boat is possible. I have always wondered about trolling in the bay. Any advice will be appreciated. Is 1st time I've started a thread. Thanks

Welcome Jess. I fish the bay around that time as well in a 17' aluminum and do just fine. If you stay in the bay, you should have no trouble, BUT, keep an eye on the weather. We've had it go from calm to 5 footers in a matter of minutes. We have always had luck in front of the hospital that time of year. We will be up the first week of October this year. Let me know how you do and have fun up there, it is truly beautiful that time of year!

I"ve been going to that area since I was 5 but have never fished the Bay. We stay on AuTrain Lake and the fishing has never been great except in the spring. Caught lots of small trout in all the creeks around there and some good Coho in the Rock. Want to try for the splakes and salmon.

Thanks for the tip.

Jess

Many locals fish the bay in 12-14 footers as it is greatly protected by the island. Might be a little early for salmon, although i have been hearing a few have been picked up recently. Usually you can run the bank from the anna river to sand point and pick up splake any time of year. If the weather looks good long term throughout the day your best bet would be to try to get to trout bay. Be careful of the nets over there, they are well marked but hard to see in the dark:grin:

i FIGURE TO GET THE BOAT OVER THERE AT LEAST ON DAY. Probably better to launch at the big launch by the High School than at Anna River, right? I plan to pull plugs and spoons. What kind of depths will I be looking at? Most of the week I will be on Autrain Lake. Hopefully the fishing will be better than in the past.

Definitely the city launch. Below is a link to an online depth chart for the munising bay area. As you will see there are some good breaks over in trout bay and we usually just work those over. Be careful in the south end if you dont have a detailed chart plotter...it comes up QUICK!! Best of luck and let me know how it goes.

Munising bay & approach chart

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum and a real green horn on Coho, Laketrout (walleye guy most of my life). I will be in Munising for three weeks from the middle of September until early Oct, and would like to learn about the Coho bite.

What time of day, depths, lures, speed and where to fish. Had some luck on Autrain Bay on the west side last year trolling crocodiles and small stick baits in 15FOW about 2.0 MPH but it was just dumb luck. Any information about Munising Bay, Autrain or any where else would be appreciated. Thanks, Just ran accros this forum and looking forward to learning all I can.

Welcome to GLF Scott!

As far as coho go if they are there, best bets are east bank in the bay or in trout bay. Set up of choice for the coho this time of year are flasher/fly combos anywhere from 12' - 25' down on a rigger. You can pick up chinook this time of year as well so try to concentrate some of your presentation lower in the water column as well. Best time for coho is sun up until 9 - 10 am. Best of luck out there and we look forward to your reports.