Ludington 8/3 & 4

EdB

Fishing was slow for us this weekend but fishing was good at other locations in the area. Got to the launch Friday and saw lightning over the lake so we waited it out. It was just a few small cells that blew up in front of Ludington. The cells flared up from nothing and put on quite a lightning show. One of our good friends was out early before it flared up and they got struck by lightning in their boat. It hit their antenna, blew that up into 3 pieces, went through the port side of the boat and out both downrigger cables and port wire diver. It melted off the downrigger cables and wire diver at the water and they lost all that gear. It blew out their radio and depth finder too. We were so glad everyone was OK, that had the potential to be real bad. The odds are one in millions to get struck by lightning, not many people can say they were struck by it and survived. Thank God!

We left the dock at 7AM and went south of the nets to the 50's and fished from there to Pentwater. We had a slow pick all morning, landing the first 3 out of 4 and then losing the last six fish in row. Came in with 3.

On Saturday, we went to the same water as Friday. We had decent late morning action so we thought we would do better starting early. That was a mistake. Came in 2 for 7. When the bite is slow, it helps to stick most of your bites and our landing ratio was aweful both days. Action was good at Big and Little Point Saturday. We hoped to redeem ourself on Sunday but it blew hard and we did not fish.

Thanks Ed:thumb: whats up with the Net down by the 3 sisters south of ya? I know of 2 different guys now that have got in to them one on friday and one this morning and both lost cannon balls they said the numbers are off on the location, do you know anything of this? I'am going to be at Pentwater tomorrow and may fish North if the fish are not to south on sand hills. I may come up to Ludington to spend some money and stop in and see ya.:cool:

Sorry to hear about your friends Ed, safety first is always my motto, and I assume these guys will think twice before staying out or going out if the weather looks iffy. They are very lucky to have survived. The fish are going to be out there after any storms, so I hope everyone reading this thread will again, take heed, nature always wins against us humans when she gets riled up.

Thanks Ed:thumb: whats up with the Net down by the 3 sisters south of ya? I know of 2 different guys now that have got in to them one on friday and one this morning and both lost cannon balls they said the numbers are off on the location, do you know anything of this? I'am going to be at Pentwater tomorrow and may fish North if the fish are not to south on sand hills. I may come up to Ludington to spend some money and stop in and see ya.:cool:

We fished out of Ludington this morning and were surprised to find nets set up in the 51's. 50's south were clear all the way to Pentwater. Good luck.

Thanks Ed whats up with the Net down by the 3 sisters south of ya?

Fished all around that area and didn't see any nets south of the 50 line so I don't think there is one right in front of the 3 sisters. The nets down there seem to be where they are listed on the posted numbers from my take but you never know when they are going to move one. I saw one boat hooked in them in the 51's right smack in the middle of them. We are back this Friday night and staying all next week. Hope to see you around Grant. My buddies who fished south from Pentwater did a lot better than us.

Sorry to hear about your friends Ed, safety first is always my motto, and I assume these guys will think twice before staying out or going out if the weather looks iffy.

You may know them Ed, Jan and Terry on the Mermaid. They have been regulars in Ludington since the 80's and are in the LACA. They leave the dock early and there was no lightning when they went out. They aren't careless and have as much experience as any of us. It can happen to the best. That cell flat came out of nowhere fast and passed through quickly, it was a weird one. I could not agree with you more on safety first, that is why we stayed in that morning when we saw the lightning.