boat noise

i take it that it is an I/O. does it vibrate going straight or just on turns. does it do it in neutral, just in gear or both? it probably wont spook fish but you could have an issue like what i just went through and spend 1200 bucks fixing the engine coupling to the outdrive.

im having my mercruiser done right now. my boats in the shop. the coupling is like 350.00 and the labor est is 500.00 more, for a total of 850.00. and i thought that was alittle hige. she said it might not be that hige but she allowed 8 hrs labor. so i think 1200.00 or 1600.00 is way high, and 400.00 is a steal.

sherman

the thing is i used to fish lake huron 5 years ago in my old boat and catch fish every time sometimes -15-20 salmon-steel head now in this boat i have been out 3 times and been skunked all 3 times but i am not doing anything different only thing i can think of is the boat?

If it smooths out at higher rpm's then throw some trolling bags out so you can run the engine up and maintain the slower speed. If there is nothing mechanically wrong with the motor then this would be a simple fix.

And welcome to the site.

Chris

im having my mercruiser done right now. my boats in the shop. the coupling is like 350.00 and the labor est is 500.00 more, for a total of 850.00. and i thought that was alittle hige. she said it might not be that hige but she allowed 8 hrs labor. so i think 1200.00 or 1600.00 is way high, and 400.00 is a steal.

sherman

Cant compare a merc to a volvo though. It is like comparing apples to watermelons. They are completely different unlike merc and omc. volvo parts are 2 to 3 times more i have found out over the years. The coupling was 575 new boot was 63 four special bolts that needed to be replaced at 12 each and a water intake tube hat was 54 and all volvo only except the boot. even looking at prices on ebay i couldn't gotten them much cheaper he charged.

Back to the O.P. i would do the trolling bags also.

If it smooths out at higher rpm's then throw some trolling bags out so you can run the engine up and maintain the slower speed. If there is nothing mechanically wrong with the motor then this would be a simple fix.

And welcome to the site.

Chris

i have to agree. you need something to slow the boat and raise your rpms just alittle. or if you know anything about working on motors you might try adjusting you air mixture screws alittle. but remember where they were when you started. just turn both screws the same. and only turn them about 1/8 th turn at a time. try turning them in first. go 1/8 turn and see what it does. then if that doesnt help turn then another 1/8th turn. and do this untill it smothes out or you go about 1 turn. if it gets worse or doesnt help, go back to the starting point. then start going out with them and do the same thing. if this doesnt help then put it back where you started.

then get you some bags or a trolling plate. some people like the bags and some of us like a trolling plate. i use the easy troller trolling plate myself. you can do a search for easy troller and you can find then for 99.00 plus shipping. or sometimes you can find them on ebay used for around 75.00 plus shipping. now im not telling you to get the plate over bags, the bags do work. i just like the plate better. and i think the easy troller is the best.

sherman

Our 454s rumble and we've taken 15lb BT 50' back down 5' on our riggers in the Spring over 10' of water or less. We've also taken many Steelies in June out 40' on a diver and on sliders when our downriggers are only 30' down. There was also a point in June when we were fishing 25' of water hitting BT on sliders with riggers down 15-20.

I would have thought so myself, but like always the fish prove me wrong!

I wouldn't worry about the fish I think I would find out were it's coming from ,balance off on the prop can make it vib and that's not really good on the seals if a seal go's and you don't catch it there go's the outdrive and at 1600-1800 that will suck, but it can be almost anything or a lot of little things adding up. start with the carb,use seafaom in your next tank full check the fuel filter if it's clean at low idle the flow is almost none if the filter is plugged. I just got back from vacation and while I was on the water the carb flooded over (dirt in the seat) lucky I'm good friends with the resort owner he let me use his work shop and I rebuild it there and tuned it up without having to take the boat out of the water. Run smooth now and haul butt out of the hole. Funny and small pc of dirt can screw a motors running.