Copper or No Copper, that is my question

K so this is my 2nd year fishing. Last year we started out w/only riggers and dipsies. For my birthday 8/15 I got a lead core pole per my request and loved it from the get.

This year I have asked my lovely boyfriend for a copper pole. I hear so many great things on GLF about copper of every length.

Well he and his other buddies keep telling me they are too much work and are no better than lead core anyways.

Can anyone tell me the benefits to using core versus lead??

Really need to tip him over to me side of the fence before my birthday in two weeks so I can get my copper!

All input will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Brianne

Copper gets deeper quicker. for example a 10 color 300 ft gets to about 40 ft copper of that same length gets to about 70 - 80 ft.. The benefit is you dont have to reel in 20 colors to get that depth. Some also claim there is a harmonic hum to it like wire divers or riggers cables which attract fish. Dont know how true this is but it is what has been said. I do know tht my coppers typically outproduce my lead cores. But there are those few days that lead core just plain outfishes copper. It is just a touch harder to deploy and takes some getting used to, but when you do get the hang of it you wont regeret it. If you do go with it set the little knob under your reel handle ao just let it creep out at first and thumbe the spool as you let it out till you get used to handling it.

Well - I still run both, but use copper much more than lead these days. Shorter lines with same depth achieved does not equal more work to most people I fish with:lol:.

You do have to be a little more careful letting it out and slow to start is the ticket.

Make sure you get the Copper from Blood Run - handles much nicer than anything else I have tried.

Good luck:thumb:

I don't think one has to buy blood run copper when there are several other great products out there- Most days copper far out produces lead core for us- but I run both and pull core only when the fish tell me they prefer copper.

I don't think one has to buy blood run copper when there are several other great products out there- Most days copper far out produces lead core for us- but I run both and pull core only when the fish tell me they prefer copper.

You're probably right, you don't need to buy copper. However, I was running strictly leadcore, and changed up to copper. I was running different lengths spreading the water column with some short copper to long copper, and both were effective. I suppose it comes down to personal preference and being confident and comfortable with your spread, and IME, copper has been very productive on my boat. Someone told me once, that a fishermans biggest adversity to overcome was change. Just like anyone else on this site, I read a lot of reports, I talk with a lot of other fishermen, and take what I can from them, which has lead me to being more productive when I spend time on the water, and I think at the end of the day that's what we're all looking to do.

I suggest Morgans copper 45lb super copper. Just my opinion, and others will certainly disagree. When I run copper I want depth fast. I don't play around with 32lb. If you already have full core, you probably want 300 copper to get you down into the 60-80ft range (largely depending on speed and lure type). We started running one side copper and one side core (other than 300 when then fish want it) and the copper far outproduces the core and it is much less work (less to reel in).

I suggest Morgans copper 45lb super copper. Just my opinion' date=' and others will certainly disagree. When I run copper I want depth fast. I don't play around with 32lb. If you already have full core, you probably want 300 copper to get you down into the 60-80ft range (largely depending on speed and lure type). We started running one side copper and one side core (other than 300 when then fish want it) and the copper far outproduces the core and it is much less work (less to reel in).[/quote']

Completely Agree with mark on this. I like the morgans copper and opti tackle(now american fishing waire) also.

45# 300' copper works great u can run it with lead core outside of it, I run from inside out 300' 45# copper -then a 10 color leadcore, then a short core usually 6 to 7 colors. It works well and we never get tangles. The copper gets down to 75 to 85' depending on the speed u run. U can pull anything on it and have it work. I prefer inline boards, walleye board work best for me.

So far my only experience with copper has been 2 300' setups that I got already spooled. I'm not sure what kind of copper they are but I will say that I don't see any reason to switch out the rest of my leadcore rods. Copper is a pain to run, much harder to work with than core IMO. Maybe I just have been runner the wrong kind of copper but for now I'm only running copper as very deep rods.

K so this is my 2nd year fishing. Last year we started out w/only riggers and dipsies. For my birthday 8/15 I got a lead core pole per my request and loved it from the get.

This year I have asked my lovely boyfriend for a copper pole. I hear so many great things on GLF about copper of every length.

Well he and his other buddies keep telling me they are too much work and are no better than lead core anyways.

Can anyone tell me the benefits to using core versus lead??

Really need to tip him over to me side of the fence before my birthday in two weeks so I can get my copper!

All input will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Brianne

Brianne, below is a link to very helpful document that goes fairly in depth into the differences and advantages of copper vs core. If you stop by Fish On in Nunica they can get a reel or two spooled up for you. Good luck!

http://www.coppertrollingwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/001.jpg

So far my only experience with copper has been 2 300' setups that I got already spooled. I'm not sure what kind of copper they are but I will say that I don't see any reason to switch out the rest of my leadcore rods. Copper is a pain to run, much harder to work with than core IMO. Maybe I just have been runner the wrong kind of copper but for now I'm only running copper as very deep rods.

Your not alone. I ran a 150, 200, 250, 300. While i was in whitehall. Fished 5 days and. Only git 1 fish on a 250. Ill keep running them because i have them but tgey have not they havn t proven themselfs yet

I have not bothered to wet my lead core this year and likely won't till time to chase Steel off shore in Sept and Oct. Copper is always good for close to 1/2 the fish in my box 150 and 200 have been hot all year. we run between 5 and 8 copper rods every trip and 9 fish has been our worst trip this year on my boat.

I run 45lb Morgans. I prefer the standard copper because the super copper frays and is a bigger pain than letting the standard copper out. I run lead on one side and copper on the other. My long lead cores are best producers on my boat. According to my fish hawk td probe my 17 color lead goes deeper than my 450 copper. All charts and people say differant but I have checked them many times on the same troll and day and speed. Copper is necessary if you want to expand your opportunities to catch fish.

We just changed all of our cores out to coppers. For us it has worked better and less line out to deal with. It has been less of a pain to fish around all of the other boats as well. For some reason the only cores that were good for us were 15 color and no one really wanted to reel in that much line.

I got rid of my long leadcores.. i got a few 2,3 and 5 colors and dont really use them i prefer the copper it does boat alot of fish for me. I run Blood run copper in 32lb and 45lb its great stuff and i havnt had any issues with it, as posted previously just let it out slow it is a little different to work with but you,ll get used to it and love it!

Simply put.

300' of core will go down around 40'

300' of 32# copper will go down around 60'

300' of 45# copper will go down around 80'

It's a mater of the depth you are targeting.

This year the water is warm, and the fish are deep, so the 300' of 45# is a good choice.

Last year the water was cool all year, and the core would have been fine.

If you already have full core, you probably want 300 copper to get you down into the 60-80ft range (largely depending on speed and lure type).

Good advice above if you can only add one copper set up for the boat. If you can add a couple, the 200 ft 45 lb copper has been our best rig this season. I love 150 ft lengths of copper because you can run them in traffic. They are real good later this month when the kings start staging inside and fishing pressure builds.

I would tell your boyfriend to get you a 32# 300ft copper setup . Fishes deeper than a full core , tracks better.

By far the hottest rod , and you can check my posts has been my 300 copper (32# Blood Run) It has not let me down this year, every trip its out and produces fish.

Okuma makes a very nice rod to put it on too. paired up with your favorite reel .

photo0072.jpg

A 300 setup of 32 # will fit nicely on a 45 series reel . If you go to 45 # you will have to go to a 55 series.