Ok Here's a Dipsy question...

I know there's different settings on the dipsy's But When I put the setting on 3 it doesn't go out any further than putting it on setting 1, my question is how do I make low divers and High divers, is my rods to close, they are on the same Dual Rod Holder.. I truely don't get it...they really don't go out side of the boat, mine on 3 go right behind the boat....What's the deal??? I need some good advice..

Boltman

Make sure your settings are for the correct side. They should pull out to the side you have them set for. Sounds like they are set backwards.

Your farthest back rod should be the inside and the forward rod should be out. I would run the inside on a #1 and the outside on #3. If your outside rod is the same length raise it a little higher than your inside rod. If its longer it can be at the same angle.

I hope that helps. Did you get your trolling valve ?

Here is what we do Robert. The inside diver is a store bought Mag diver (walker 124) set to 1.5, and run on a 8' pole. The outside diver is a Standard diver with a mag ring set to 2.5, and run on a 10' pole..

The mag diver has a bigger weight in it which helps it to pull down faster. The lighter out diver has the standard weight, and the mag ring, which helps it to pull out.

The inside diver runs very close to 1/2 depth to line out. (100' out=50' down)

The out diver runs close to 1/3 ratio.

Just to be clear though, the divers will still pull way back.

If you want more separation, set the low diver flat out to the side, and the high diver up one notch.

Like this. The two rods in front of the riggers are divers.

IMG_9668.jpg

Most of the time we run both of the poles flat off the side at the same angle.

Here is a second shot where it goes rigger, low diver, high diver, and copper line.

IMG_9766.jpg

Like Jim said make sure you have the weight to the correct side and the release clipped in, the weight should be towards the boat as the diver runs in the water. The length of rod isn't going to change much on how far to the side your divers run, maybe a foot give or take. There is also going to be a bow in the line which will make it look like it isn't running very far to the side. Trip you high diver once and reel it in quickly so it comes up to the surface, you will probably find that your diver is running further to the side than you thought.

Sounds more like you want/need tackle failure advice right now, I agree with Jim on one point, you may have it backwards when setting the diver. The other possibility is your fine tuning adjustments, that of two screws that tighten the diver to move one direction or the other, and the clip setting screws, are loose, and need screwdriver tightening. You want the diver to follow the port or starboard side going away from the boat, as soon as you drop it into the water, you also want the tension clip to be taught enough to hold, not too tight to not release properly. All these things come with time and patience, in the field/lake. Hi/low divers are a good tool for catching, just watch for tangles, when properly set up, you seldom have one as Nailer pointed out accurately.

Good points above but also remember that the dipsy disks pull out but your line has a bow in it. It actually makes a parabolic shape in the line. It may only look like your outside line is 6-10 inches from your inside line at the boat but at the lure it's 20 feet.

Good points above but also remember that the dipsy disks pull out but your line has a bow in it. It actually makes a parabolic shape in the line. It may only look like your outside line is 6-10 inches from your inside line at the boat but at the lure it's 20 feet.

Exactly

all the things that could be causing your problems have really been covered. but i,ll throw my 2 cents in. make sure the trip arm is set and hasnt tripped. then make sure when you put it in the water it is pulling towards the side of the boat you want it on. on a 3 setting to the right it shoul pull pretty hard to the right.

this is how i had my divers set up last week on erie. i do use the lite bite slide divers and the no# are just alittle different but the basics are the same. i used a 9' rod for my front outside rod, my diver was set on 4.5 and i run it out 150 ft. my middle rod was an 8 ft rod with the diver set on a 3 setting out 120 ft. then my back inside rod was a 7 ft rod and the diver set on 1.5 and out 90 ft. there was very little space between the lines at the boat but they didnt run together or behind the boat. but if i got a hit on my front outside line. when i let it back out i would go over to the other side of the boat and start letting it out. i would just use the clicker on the reel to slow it down alittle so it didnt tangle. then when it was out 135 ft i would take it up over the 2 back rods and set it in the holder. now it should have 150 ft of line out so i lock the reel down and make sure its on 150. the diver will go up and over the other lines.

but it really sounds like your diver is tripped or your trying to put them on the wrong side of the boat. you dont want the trip arm so tight it wont trip but you dont want it so loose it keeps tripping when you put it in the water. thats why i love the lite bite divers. you can set them alittle on the tight side and just set the lite bite arm as light as it will go. then even a white bass will trip the diver, but you dont get false releases.

i hope something i,ve said helps you out. fishing with divers can be a fun way to fish.

sherman

If you like running deeper divers like i do you can take the 107 wieght and put it on the 124 (mag) for your outside diver. I dont have any 107s on my boat anymore just put whichever wieght i need on the 124. Helps a ton to get the right seperation.

This is really the same thing as putting a mag ring on a standard diver but then you dont have to mess with the rings. I believe you can buy just the weights too, when i made the transition i just took the weights off the 107s i already had so im not sure.

If you like running deeper divers like i do you can take the 107 wieght and put it on the 124 (mag) for your outside diver. I dont have any 107s on my boat anymore just put whichever wieght i need on the 124. Helps a ton to get the right seperation.

This is really the same thing as putting a mag ring on a standard diver but then you dont have to mess with the rings. I believe you can buy just the weights too, when i made the transition i just took the weights off the 107s i already had so im not sure.

This ^^^ is what I am doing on my current setup, and really like it. I than took the heavy weights and put them on the 107s for emergency backups.

yup, your diver actually looks something like this in the water:

diverLayout.jpg

the deflection to the side is more pronounced with each higher diver setting, but the lines at the boat will be almost parallel.

Tim

I agree with Ken and with Jim. I have also started using Walker deeper divers, the Luhr Jensen Dipsey Diver they are making now are Junk. They fall apart , they dont get positive set and release. Really disappointing. I have used them for years and bought a couple of new ones this season both fell apart the first time we put them in the water (the weight discs fell off while they were in the water, both came to the surface and tangled with the other dipsey on the same side of the boat.

Wow, this is some great information Guys and Tim I love the ART work, I'm sure that's what mah dipseys look like in the water as well, but I don't have WALKER deeper divers, but I will very soon.......I have all Luhr Jensens I believe.