Strategies for 5 fish tournies

Treblemaker

Pray.

Last night we ran a HUGE meat rig out 190 on 1.5 on the dipsey in 190fow. I did this beecause we started getting big fish (15+) on the riggers. So I figured the big boys were hungry.

Ended up taking the two smallest fish of the trip - one of which was so small it was smaller than the meat rig paddle and ended up getting off as it was skiing across the waves at the back of the boat.

Saw a strategy used in the Grand Haven Off shore many years ago. We were not fishing in it but ran south out of Muskegon early to fish. As the sun came up we saw a few gallon jugs floating one was close to the boat so we netted it and it had braided line tied to it so we pulled it up and there was a nice king on the other end we pulled 2 more that morning the same way. Don't know who did it but I bet they were bummed when their special fish were gone.

Saw a strategy used in the Grand Haven Off shore many years ago. We were not fishing in it but ran south out of Muskegon early to fish. As the sun came up we saw a few gallon jugs floating one was close to the boat so we netted it and it had braided line tied to it so we pulled it up and there was a nice king on the other end we pulled 2 more that morning the same way. Don't know who did it but I bet they were bummed when their special fish were gone.

Thanks for cleaning up the pollution.

I thought that was a "Canadian fish finder" back in the 1940's my late grandfather would tie a balloon to a walleye and release it. The thought was the walleye would go back to his buddies. Follow the school around to catch more fish.

I thought that was a "Canadian fish finder" back in the 1940's my late grandfather would tie a balloon to a walleye and release it. The thought was the walleye would go back to his buddies. Follow the school around to catch more fish.

That's awesome.

Or you could do my Dreamweaver stratagy which for the last 3 years has been show up at weigh in and buy extra raffle tickets. 3 years ago we had a storm hit at 5am so we went to breakfast to wait it out it had not cleared up after breakfast so we called it and went home since I had a extra 100 bucks I went to the weigh in and spent it on tickets. I won a charter trip hockey tickets and several other things So after fishing the Dreamweaver since it started my best win was a no fish trip. Last year we had boat problems had to switch boats forgot the lure pack so could not weigh any fish and won stuff agian. Did not do as well this year but still got a nice package in the raffle.

it is a charity event the Dreamweaver B4K every year in Muskegon limited to 60 boats sign up early. Only cash prize is big fish all the other prizes are raffle tickets all of the sponsor stuff is raffled off to make more for the charity. Lot of fun and great cause.

As to the subject the only way to insure a box of big fish is to not fill it with little fish. This has led to lots of rule bending and outright cheating in some cases. The simple fact is if your in a bunch of small fish they are what you will catch. You might be able to find a few bigger fish among them but you will get lots of small fish. So you have to move and try a better spot. I think of it like finding old men on a park bench They don't want to fight for a spot and don't care for a pack of kids running around them. So I pick the quieter stretchs and look for spots they can relax and be comfortable.

I have found if you are catching small fish go deeper with your lures. I usually place well in tournaments because I fish near the bottom. I also fish out of the pack of boats. I have never told someone I am running long lines on the radio because of my fishing out of the pack. Deep dipsey divers produce big fish. The Dreamweaver is a great event with a great charity. My fish were all caught in 150 to 200 fow 100 plus down. Smallest of my allowed 15 was 11.5 lbs. Highest line was a 300 copper. Thats how I fish weigh 5 best tournaments.