MONO rigger line?

What I've done for years on my rigger rods is fill the spool most of the way with 17 lb Trilene XT 300-350 yds or so, then splice in 120 feet or so of 30 lb big game with a back to back uni knot to cover the length between the rod tip and the release, then a small (50 lb test, #8 I think) spro power swivel and 6 feet of so of 20 lb fluorocarbon with just a snap to the lure. it's the best of all worlds, no flea issues and you have adequate line on the reel for when you get a serious screamer on the line. Works for both spoons and flasher fly rigs, haven't lost a fish due to break off ever that I can recall. My rigger reels are Shimano Triton TR200G's.

I use these the same way in the spring for running the boards along the shore for browns, except I drop down to about 10' of 10 lb fluoro at the terminal end. The large diameter 30 lb keeps the stickbaits from diving too deep and hanging bottom in the really skinny water.

Tim

20# big game , rigger rods get changed every year and cores every other. the leaders every year too. have not had a break off in 2 years. The ones I did have were due to tangles and getting in the rigger cable.

I use 15# Ande on my spoons rigger rods and just switched to 30# Ande for flashers this year. I have been running the 15# for 5 years and never had a "break off". I have lost gear due to tangles or fish rolling in the line and cutting it off, but never just flat out breaking off. I would definitely take a look at your releases.

I have been using 20# Ande for years, I use 30# big game for my core and copper leaders, during the sea flea infestation I have a spare set of rigger reels with 20# flea flicker that keep me free of the pesky little buggers. I do check my line after every fish and at the end of each day of fishing for nicks and scrapes, I slide about 10 to 15 feet thru my fingers and if I feel any rough surface I cut it off and re tie my swivel, I still get break offs because of different things happening like pulling thru some trash and haveng garbage slide down the rigger line to the release.

25# McCoy Mean Green Fishing line all year long. Fleas wont cling to it, and it's the strongest stuff I've ever used. When running spoons and in the Spring I will leader it down with 15# McCoy Flouro, and when running paddles we will leader down to 20# McCoy Flouro. This combo is tough as nails. We use the blood knot between our leaders and our main line.

Our BT set-ups get 15lb McCoy Mean Green leadered down to 8 or 10lb McCoy Flouro. Give this line a try and I'm sure you'll find the same benefits we've seen for a few years. These guys are a small company in Arizona, and won't sell out to the big companies.

20#big game is good stuff,great price. I use a high quality ball bearing swivel[sPRO]and before and after every time it gets wet i feel the line for nicks or rough spots and re tie when in doubt,i also run my drag on the light side.With sharp hooks .And then the fish is mine!:thumb:[unless he swims into my other junk!lol!]

I know fishing line is one of those aspects of this sport that no one EVER wants to change. I felt the same way switching from my proven line manufacturer to Blood Run's new mono, especially without ever using it before. Aside from not having any break offs, this stuff is tough! In the past I have found myself regularly having to cut back line due to just plain wear and tear. If I have done it with the Blood Run mono, I can not even remember doing it. If anyone is looking to maybe switch, its definitely worth looking at.