superlines on DR

I've tried braid a few times, and I couldn't get the braid to hold. Someone recently said that there is a new release for braid, but I can't recall the name of it. For the nmeantime, I'm still using mono...

I think if i do switch i will be switching to a blacks or chaimbrlin release.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure about others, but mono is what I use on the riggers...

I think if i do switch i will be switching to a blacks or chaimbrlin release.

if you go that route you may want to run bands from the line to the release. I fished with blacks for 2 seasons and changed to scottys because of shakers and lite hits. With the scottys and a 36 inch lead off the ball I can see if I bump an alewife. By using a band you would be able to see the hits you other wise will miss. I have had 8lb lake trout hit and swim along with the boat. Not tripping off the release. by using a static release like that it masks the hits. this is because of the weight of the ball pulling down.

I switched to a Chaimbrlin from a Blacks. With the duel tension release I can set so light that a minnow will trip it. With the pole set so tight that the tip is in the water. Have not had a shaker drown since I switched.

Braid works well when fishing deep due to the fact there is way less drag on the line. Also, using braid, it is way easier to detect when you pick up a shaker as the line has way less strech in it then mono. The blacks release would most likely be the best clip to use. I would suggest using a long flour leader though, this will provide a little strech to the line which truly helps keep fish on!

I had one of my downrigger rods left at home on sunday,so I took of three colors from a 5 color with braid backing and used that as the Dr. I run the blacks and had no problems with the braid holding. Since I have used both now with some pretty good fish, I prefer mono for the riggers.

There are some disadvantages to the braid lines. The first has been mentioned, no give in the line. The second is that the fleas will fill the braid up in a hurry. That's why my braid divers stayed dry over the weekend. I started running 30# when the fleas come out because I'm so sick of the fleas. I do know a charter captain that runs braid on the chute rigger for lakers. They tie loops in the braid to attach it to the release. Since they fish the same general area for lakers all of the time they just have a few loops that they leave tied in permanently. I will be sticking with the mono for my riggers. Is there a reason you are asking about the braid Steve?

I had 3 break offs on the riggers last week. Where the fish hit and the line broke before i could get to them. After the first one i stripped 100' of line from all four poles but it happened 2 more times. 1 was screaming out drag and then nothing. They all broke off about halfway to the swival so i know it wasn't the knots.

It sounds like i am staying with mono.

I was using. 20lbs trilene xt..

NEW THREAD STARTED...

I switched to a Chaimbrlin from a Blacks. With the duel tension release I can set so light that a minnow will trip it. With the pole set so tight that the tip is in the water. Have not had a shaker drown since I switched.

How is that helping set the hook on big guys? I thought the Chamberlins were a great idea, but some of the feedback I got from people who used them were that they lost a lot of fish with them.

How is that helping set the hook on big guys? I thought the Chamberlins were a great idea, but some of the feedback I got from people who used them were that they lost a lot of fish with them.

I mainly use my chamberlains for walleye and love them have not lost a fish walleye fishing and 6 inch perch set them off. What was some of the feed back you got i was thinking of leaving the chamberlains on for salmon also.