mag or reg spoons

regular or mag spoons  

43 members have voted

1. 1. regular or mag spoons

• regular
    • magnum

I have had perch hit a mag spoon while trolling so there must be something about what looks like a big easy meal. The second issue is the same as running flasher fly combos and that is after the alewives spawn they move back out deep and we have smaller ones around which is when I go to smaller spoons, if the fish are hitting my flies I run standard or mini spoons. Also when my mag spoons are getting pounded I usually pull my flies and run something else like a big plug.

Ive been catching fish in s. Lk. Huron on both mags and regulars. Last week a fish in the cooler spit up baitfish about 2inches long. Gonna try matching the size of bait with my spoons next time out.

For me it depends on the bait size.

For example. I have not fished all week. My starting spread will be a mix of all size spoons. If the mags start going I start o change out to bigger spoons.. If the Super slims are going I change it to smaller spoons.

When fishing the Mud. I run MAG MAG MAG..... give them a chance t see it.

If I am fishing in and out of the mud I will leave a standard or SS on just to keep them honest.

Brandon and Dave are on the right track. If you catch a fish early, try to open the stomach cavity and see what size of alewife is inside, let that help guide you. I have seen days when the action is so furious, that minis, regular, and mags are all going well, so go figure. When fishing my deep rods or longest rods, I prefer mags for the biggest fish though.

• 2 weeks later...