Dissapearing Hook

Ok,

I had a really strange thing happen on a spoon yesterday morning. We had caught several fish on this spoon I sent it back out after inspecting both the line and the hooks to make sure they still stick into my finger nail. We drug that sucker around for 2 hours before we picked up to head in only to find that there was only a split ring on the lure. I must say i am a bit confused.

Have any of you folks out there had this happen???? This was on a moonshine lure and the split ring looks to be perfect not seperated at all.

Grizzly

I have had this happen twice. Once on a spoon and once on a jointed Rapala. Both times the split ring looked fine. On the Rapala we saw a steelhead jumping in the vicinity of the board but no sign of a fish on the line. We brought it in later to check it and no hook, I only run the rear hook anyway.

we had it happen twice this weekend on brand new Moonshine RVs where we lost the treble while it was out. Both times though the split ring was damaged.

Never had it before and I run a lot of Moonshines. I think the fish get some tourque on them and works them out.

Strange you mention this at this particular time Griz. I have had several customers also complain of recent about the quality of the hooks on Moonshine lures. They have been great until just recently, and I think it prudent and necessary to send an email or phone inquiry as to whether they recently changed their hook supplier. If so, they need to change back to what they had before, perhaps VMC/Eagle claws, or whatever. I've not had this problem yet, but am running some 1-3 year old lures, as well as new ones here and there. One guy went on to say this hook won't even stick to his fingernail on most new ones, mystery, but solvable, change hook even if new out of package and not up to par for you.

To everyone who replied I thank you, I thought i was loosing my mind but that split ring is perfect. I will send an email to the company and ask them about it. It was on a brand new crabface rv spoon that this happend. I agree with the post above on the hook sharpness out of the box. I hand hone all of them to make sure they stick in my fingernail. I will let you know what I hear in response from the manufacturer.

Grizzly

I did recieve a reply from the manufacturer. He told me to make sure I start checking my hooks and make sure the hook is in the split ring and not half way or partially out. So as far as they know everything is good. Maybe I missed it but I constantly check after each fish the first 5 feet of line and the hooks for sharpness. I do not have any problems with the product as they do work well.

Grizzly

Hey Griz, did he say anything about the quality/mfr. of the hooks now? Did they change the hook, or is it the same one from their inception? Seems strange this would just start occurring this season, and not past seasons for me and others I talked to. It may sound like being a smarty pants, but, if he had told me to make sure the hook is on the split ring, I would have asked him why I should have to check it, appears they have a new QC error that they should be checking into, not us customers, jmo. I am beginning to believe either the tine on the new hook is too small or weak, or that the split ring is the root of the problem. Either way, Moonshine Lures should be double-checking their quality control very soon so this doesn't mess up their fine products and name. I don't like having to change hooks on new lures I am paying $9/each for, nor split rings either.

My 2 cents if the ring is put on with the right tool and you are using a top brand name Hook there is no reason for it to come off. I have had a few guys call me when some of my hooks got bent a even broke off,I looked in to it and even changed the box I had been using , but the more people I spoke with the more I see its everyone's hooks that are doing this,fish are putting up a big fight this year and things get bent and broke,but the issue with the hook missing,Still puzzles me to.

Nothing mentioned about the hooks or the manufacturer. The gentlemen replied back within a day in regards to my concern. You could email him here is email address. Maybe if others inquire about the missing hook mystery he might take it there may be an issue?

Tom G <[email protected]>

Grizzly.

i,ve never had this happen before. but 2 years ago i had bought some challenger 3d worm harnesses and hooked a nice hog walleye on erie, we got the fish close enough to see the fish behind the boat, and they seen the boat and started fighting, the fish got off and i brought it in and the hook had broke off. about 1/2 hour later we had the same thing happen again.

i contacted challenger and they had me mail the lures to them for inspection. they sent me back some new lures to replace the 2 bad ones and a few extra ones. the only bad thing is i still have about 2 dozen of the first batch that had the bad hooks. so it scares the crap out of me every time i use one of them. but they do catch fish.

sherman

Hey Griz, did he say anything about the quality/mfr. of the hooks now? Did they change the hook, or is it the same one from their inception? Seems strange this would just start occurring this season, and not past seasons for me and others I talked to. It may sound like being a smarty pants, but, if he had told me to make sure the hook is on the split ring, I would have asked him why I should have to check it, appears they have a new QC error that they should be checking into, not us customers, jmo. I am beginning to believe either the tine on the new hook is too small or weak, or that the split ring is the root of the problem. Either way, Moonshine Lures should be double-checking their quality control very soon so this doesn't mess up their fine products and name. I don't like having to change hooks on new lures I am paying $9/each for, nor split rings either.

I agree 100%

Double D - it's funny you mentioned this happened on a Flounder Pounder. I just bought the Flounder Pounder 2 weeks ago. After one trip and a few fish, I checked the split ring and it was all opened up. My other Moonshines have never done this. I wonder if Moonshine would be good and replace the spoons that are having this problem. Sometimes it happens when the fish gets thrashing in the net and the split ring catches the net, but I never had this spoon stuck in the net. The hardware should match the spoon and one shouldn't have to re-hardware a new 8$ spoon!

Same crabface RV didnt get hit this weekend. End of the night and we took it off the downrigger rod and the split ring just breaks in half.

Weird, its about a month old.

Sounds like some bad split rings, I have had michigan stingers with broken hooks . never a bad split ring. Best spoon hooks I have found are on the big lake lures. not sure which hooks he is using but I haven't' even had one come back bent.