Yankee @ the Oak 7-14 Big Boys came to Play!

We had an eager group that was interested in scoring some cash in the Lake Ontario Counties (LOC) derby. I told them I wanted to leave the dock by 5:30am, but these guys barely slept a wink and I found them in the parking lot at 5am! So off we went looking for a few fish for the leaderboard. For most of these guys their biggest fish consisted of something from a dock with the exception of Hung, which I took stream fishing this past Winter.

We shot straight out to 80’ of water in front of the Oak and pointed her East. We were going back down to the glass house area that has treated us good for about the last month. Down went our Cannon DT10’s with the following combos: 65’ down was a Dreamweaver Hammertime SD/A-TOM-MIK Hammer, 75’ down was a Michigan Stinger E-Chip in Hammertime/A-TOM-MIK Glow Blue Hammer, and down 50’ was a Legendary SmartFish Green Dot/A-TOM-MIK Ultra Green Glow Shredded. We would end up working 100-130’ of water and the temp dropped into the upper 50’s right around 35’ down. Those big kings loved the colder waters they had to swim around in chasing huge schools of bait.

Our Divers were set on a 2 and we had them going consistently out 125’ and 150’ with big Salmon. The biggest of the trip officially weighed on the LOC derby scale was 29.5 which took a Hammertime E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK B-Fly. On the other diver we had a Legendary SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK Glow Blue Hammer Shredded. We also ran a 10 color and a 300 copper off our Otter Boats. The ten Color pulled a Moonshine Carbon 14 in the morning, and took a couple of shots, but it was quiet the remainder of the day. On the 300 copper we ran a Stinger Hawg Wild, and later a few flasher/fly combos, but it just wasn’t a great presentation for us on this day.

The big guys came to play today! Our clients took home 13 Salmon, 1 Steelhead, and one Brown Trout. Our biggest five went 29, 27, and three 25 pounders. A huge box!

We released a lot of fish, and I would like to share a new technique we tried out that worked flawlessly! We took our boga style Berkley scale and tied a rope to it about 15’ long. We fried the thing holding fish overboard in previous years trying to revive them, so we had no issues with it getting wet. We clipped the fish by the mouth and tossed it overboard as we re-set lines. When we were done re-setting we would look back and the fish would be off swimming to one side or the other. We’d pull in the rope and un-clip the fish and it would take off like a champ. Even in upper 70 degree water! Give it a try next time you want to toss a fish back. It might give it a better chance to survive! I want to thank my buddy Jeremy Sage for the tip.

IMG_20120714_085312.jpg

IMG_20120714_114907.jpg

IMG_20120714_080500.jpg

IMG_20120714_072404.jpg

IMG_20120714_083811.jpg

IMG_20120714_065859.jpg

IMG_20120714_070843.jpg

IMG_20120714_053236.jpg

IMG_20120714_062058.jpg

We need a bigger cooler!

IMG_20120714_080655.jpg

We released a lot of fish, and I would like to share a new technique we tried out that worked flawlessly! We took our boga style Berkley scale and tied a rope to it about 15’ long. We fried the thing holding fish overboard in previous years trying to revive them, so we had no issues with it getting wet. We clipped the fish by the mouth and tossed it overboard as we re-set lines. When we were done re-setting we would look back and the fish would be off swimming to one side or the other. We’d pull in the rope and un-clip the fish and it would take off like a champ. Even in upper 70 degree water! Give it a try next time you want to toss a fish back. It might give it a better chance to survive! I want to thank my buddy Jeremy Sage for the tip.

Can you get me some pics of this setup? I don't really care to eat fish and I'm all for releasing them if they didn't come from too deep & are willing to swim off looking halfway decent.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Boga-Grip-130-30lb-Scale/dp/B001HYNSNO

Is this thing what you're talking about? I hope you put a float on that thing.

Can you get me some pics of this setup? I don't really care to eat fish and I'm all for releasing them if they didn't come from too deep & are willing to swim off looking halfway decent.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Boga-Grip-130-30lb-Scale/dp/B001HYNSNO

Is this thing what you're talking about? I hope you put a float on that thing.

This is the one we fried holding fish overboard until they were ready. So since it didn't work anymore we put a rope on it and once the fish is clipped in we let him go off the back of the boat. We go back to rigging, and after 5 minutes or so that fish was swimming and kicking. We pulled him in and let him go. All fish took off just fine.

I think any lip grip will do. I do have it on video, but I have no way to trim the video from my GoPro yet. I will try to get something this weekend if its possible.

http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-Big-Game-Digital-Lip-Grip/product/50327/75357