Well I don't go out too early most of the time but today my brother and I got on the water by 5:30. Do Alewives normally jump all over the side of your boat in the channel at that time?

Anyway, got lines down at around 5:45 and fished until 7:30 and went 8 for 13. Had one copper that wasn't hooking up and eventually lost the lure.

We started just south of Holland at about 80 FOW on a SSW troll at 2.8mph SOG out to about 98 feet . Got 5 lines out and wasn't able to put the 6th line out until we had about 5 fish in the boat.

The hottest lure was a white/glow paddle with a glow fly with a 20" leader on a rigger 60 foot down. We couldn't keep it in the water. The next hottest was a Magnum blue glow spoon with an eye and black ladder pattern in the middle (sorry, don't know the name of it).

They were hitting everywhere early on but when the sun came up it seemed like we only got them closer to 100 feet of water.

When we headed in the pier was completely lined with people fishing. Must have something to do with the alewives we saw there in the morning?

They've been catching steelhead off of the piers. That's why all the people. I haven't seen an alewive jump but we saw a steelhead completely jump out of the water in front of our boat yesterday in the river. I threw the boat in reverse because I thought someone hooked up. That wasn't the case but that's why there is a ton of people on the piers right now.

When the alewives are in the channel thick they will jump out of the water as the boat goes through. I'm not sure if they are in there spawning now or what. This seems like it's about the right time of year for that, although I'm no expert. Anyway, good job on the fish and thanks for the report.

Awesome work Andrew.

The bait fish are in because the lake flipped over (temp).

The fisherman (and fish) are stacked at the pierheads and I've heard stories of "hearing" the bait trying to escape the steelhead litterally pounding the pier.

Crazy cool.