Another meat question

What down speed should I be running y meat rigs? And how far back from the ball? Do I run them the same as I do with flies? I use spin doctors and stinger pro troll flashers. I usually run only one flasher in my spread because I'm afraid of getting tangled with the other lines. I know some people run all flashers but I'm not sure how to do that without tangles.

Most guys will tell you lower than 2.0mph. We run ours about 10-20ft behind the ball and off of dipsies. Bigger flashers I've been told work better for meat but I've even had success running 8" spin doctors trolling 2.3-2.6 sog. The majority of the guys on here though will tell you Big Weenie Paddles or John King Paddles and fish slow slow slow. Shouldnt have a problem with tangles as long as your not turning to sharp. I know alot of guys that all they run are flashers and flies. Good luck!

Rick,

Try to load your rigger rods tighter, lessening the bow from blowback. If your releases keep popping from it, try Chamberlain releases. They have dual adjustments on them letting you crank your rods down tight, yet have a realitively light setting for the fish to pop the release. I love em and won't ever go back to other style releases.

Also, try keeping about a 10 foot depth separation between your riggers. This should help. Good luck

I would echo what Medic said, but ask one question - how tight are you trying to turn? When you run multiple lines you can't do crazy Ivan's like you used to be able to do with just down riggers back in the day. We run commonly 11 lines, and have run all of them spin doctors at times. You have to turn VERY slowly and methodically.

I always turn slow. Because I have leadcore and dipseys out. But how far from the ball should I be running flashers so they don't get tangled? When I run more than one. Is the 15-20ft good. And have them all the same. Or run the higher lines off riggers farther back?

Dont be afraid to use your spin doctors with meat rigs. They work very well. I had an 8" Mnt Dew crush glow SD with a glow frog meat rig on a high diver 170 back last week that would go off as soon as i reset it. I ended up running two of em it was working so well. But, like mentioned, large paddle type flashers like DWs', stingers or Oki Flashers, John King Reel Flashers are all good ways to go. The BTI's from John King have been very good on our dipseys. Ive had my best luck with blue label fished around 2.0-2.2.

Has been kicking some serious backside. I teamed it up with a John King meat rig head clean on a bigger than normal trebble hook. It has been consistantly taking fish on a mag dip 3 setting with mag ring. 175 to 150 back.

Grizzly

Well I used a couple different meat rigs yesterday evening and they caught more than spoons(4:2). But I did have two tangles running the two with two spoons. One was a beachhold hoochiemama and the other was a spin doctor both 8" they were both 20' back. One on a center rigger and the other was on the corner rigger and they were 15' apart. And they still got tangled. I still don't understand how some people run 4 flashers off of riggers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same problem....and for that reason I only run flasher on deepest rigger and 10' from ball. Then a 15' separation with stacked line above. That seems to have solved the tangle issue. I assume you are stacking your riggers, 2 lines each.

My thought was that the further from the ball the larger the circle the flasher/rotator makes. So I try to keep them close, a smaller circle.

If I use flashers on riggers I also angle the corner riggers at a 45 degree angle to give more separation.

I am no expert by any means, just thought I would share my experience with same problem.

Note: I only have 2 downriggers.....and don't have tangle issues when running flashers off of dipsies or long lines with planer boards, always keeping good separation. I would typically run 1 dipsie and 1 long line with in line planer per side...in addition to the DR lines.

Hope this is of some help.

Good luck!