Prop Question

I need a 2nd prop since I bent mine coming back in from Linwood the other week. The one I have now is a 14.5 x 19. I am thinking of trying a different pitch in order to get the boat to troll down a little slower. Any suggestions?

Drop to a 17, you will loose 2-4 mph on top end, but you will jump out of the hole quicker and should slow you down a bit. The marina I use to stay in would let me try a couple used props before I bought my 17" SS.

it depends so much on how your boat performs now. if your already at peak rpm,s with the prop you have now, then going to a lower pitch can put you to high at wot. and may also hurt your cruising gas mileage. and it depends on how much slower you need to go. i have a 19 p high five on my boat, i tryed it with a 17 p high five, and only lost about 2/10,s of mph while trolling. this may not be typical with a 3 blade prop. but i just dont think reproping will cure your problem

you might want to think about making the jump to a good set of trolling bags or a good trolling plate. i,ve tried both and i like the trolling plate. the best one i think is out there is the easy troller. it has the bottom half hinged and spring loaded. if you give it alittle to much gas it will swing up instead of bending like the old happy troller. you can just do a search online and find them for around 100.00 plus shipping. or i see one on ebay once in awhile for around 80.00 plus shipping. good luck, and keep us posted on what you do, and if it works for you.

sherman

just make sure you don't raise rpm past manufacter specs smaller prop will raise your rpm about 400rpm

VG advice. Dropping the pitch increases WOT RPM. Not enough pitch is a good way to smoke an engine. Stay within specs.

If you're running at the manufacturer's recommended RPM's at WOT, you're probably better off adding trolling bags (or using bigger ones if you already have bags) to slow down. Bags help stabilize the boat in rough seas too, that, in addition to allowing your engine to run at higher rpms, helps your autopilot work better.

If your RMP's are low at WOT, you'll gain about 200-4000 RPM's for every inch of pitch you go down. Prop design makes a big difference too, and even the same basic design between manufacturer's (although probably not much difference at trolling speeds).

I tried 24" and then 36" trolling bags and still can't get the boat to slow down. I shouldn't have any issues with the RPM's, I'm no where near top end there. I'm going to stop into Pangborn's today and see if they will let me try a 17 p and exchange it if it won't work. They have a ton of used props laying around.

I believe you need to add some more cup to the the prop when you go down on the pitch so your rpm's dont go to high. I think thats how it works.......

Give Frank at Calumet Marine a call and ask him. ;)