Muskegon Launches

Hi,

I've been out of Holland almost entirely this year mainly because of the good fishing but also because of the cleaning station. Was thinking about going out of Muskegon but haven't been there in a year or two. What launch do I go out of? I used to go out of the small one on the south side of the lake by the condos but with the bigger boat I'm worried because I remember them being a little shallow. Is there any run by the state so my plate tags get me in free?

Thanks

There is one by the state park on the north side of the lake. I haven't been out of there in a few years because it is too shallow for this boat. It has a fish cleaning station. As far as I know the rest of them are either private or run by the city. Quite a few guys use the old Grand Trunk launch because it is closer to the lake. I usually go out of Fisherman's Landing and if I go in the morning spend the $5 and clean my fish there. I think that there is one closer than Grand Trunk but it is private and I have never used it.

My personal opinion... Launch in Grand haven and run the boat up to Muskegon... I don't mean to bad mouth anyone who may live in the area.. But it just has poor facilities. Just my 2 cents, and i hope not to offend any1 from the area.

I'm not offended by the comment but wonder where your cleaning fish In grand haven when your not docked on chinook pier?

That's a good point too. The fish cleaning station there is considered public.. but don't tell that to any of the captains... They do help pay for upkeep, but it wasn't funded by them when it was built. You can clean fish there at any time, just have to be respectful.

that's just what i've been told. We only cleaned fish there during the tournament, and had no problem getting a key from a charter after the building was locked up at night.

The problem with Chinook cleaning station is that after I pull my boat out of the public launch, then I would need to drive downtown with the boat, find parking and convince someone to unlock the cleaning station. We so need a cleaning station at the public launch.