taxidermist

DIRTY DOG

has any one ever had a trophy from the great lakes mounted

i just got back a 17 lb 4 oz brown that i got and am not happy with it and this is the second time it was painted the first time it was done it looked like a very large stearm brown and now it is like a cross between a stealy and a king:angry2:

just looking for any info on good taxi. for great lakes fish

here is a pic

disney2005229.jpg

disney2005231.jpg

Chip Klein of Hit Man Taxidermy does mainly Great Lakes fish all winter long. He takes a lot of time and puts a lot of effort into each fish. His fish look good as he spends a lot of time painting. Overall, I have not heard many negative comments from customers.

FWIW-I have a buddy that had two browns caught in Lake MI done by Ryno...they are OK, but nothing to rave about that's for sure. Many of his mounts are excellent and others leave ALOT to be desired (check out a selection at Gander Mt. in Kalamazoo)

I am having a brown done by Dan's Taxidermy...he sent me some pics I was impressed with of a great lakes brown he did. www.dansfishtaxidermy.com

A brown is a tough one to do as many taxidermists don't get much practice with them.

Tough break on a nice fish.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure who to go to for fish mounts, although years ago I used Mike Hiner in North Muskegon with no complaints. For any and all furred or feathered creatures Jay Wickerham in Sheridan, MI gets my endorsement. (unpaid of course).

It is very hard to be sure of quality in a day that is seeing taxidermists springing up faster than Wal-marts. Jay has been at it for a very long time and to my knowledge doesn't even advertise anymore. He doesn't need to. His work is that good.

http://www.edwalicki.com/index.htm

I've had a half dozen mounts from local guys that I would say I was pleased with. Before I went to Kona, I researched a great deal about taxidermists and how its done. I came across Ed because of the unusual manner his mounts are created. We spent a great deal of time on the phone and I said if I hooked into a lunker I'd be giving him a call. He promised if I didn't like his work, he wouldn't charge me. He starts out by giving you a camera and a tape measure. Catch your trophy, shoot twenty or thirty shots of every square inch of the fish and make a few measurements. Send the info to him and he duplicates every detail, color, mark and unique feature of your fish. And its carved from automotive foam, not molded from a standard pattern. Then its coated with a hard shell of epoxy then air brushed and painted. The finished product is a flawless replica of your mount. I couldn't have been happier. Ed personnaly came to my house to do the final installation. You can see it on his website. It was a 12' long 400 lb Pacific Blue Marlin.