Moon Phase vs Quality of fishing

My wife and I are planning a weeklong trip to Manistee the July 4 week. We initially planned on taking the boat to do some legendary Manistee fishing, but looking at the moon phase calendar the moon will be at almost full all week. I have heard many rumors around full moon fishing, they include 1. Fish don’t bite well in the morning, 2. Night fishing is really good and 3. When the moon is at peak the best times are in the afternoon. Well I don’t know what do believe or really understand the truth about lunar phases and how they relate to fishing. Any seasoned fisherman or charter guys care to share their experience?

I agree with KJ and would like to add that a lot depends on the time of year and weather. I've normally found that the nite bite continues on for about another half hour to sixty minutes after sunset, instead of twenty minutes or so. Same reverse for morning, starts earlier, ends earlier too I found. I don't know if you are committed to Manistee or not, but the Ludington fishing just 30 miles south is on fire right now.

I agree with KJ and would like to add that a lot depends on the time of year and weather. I've normally found that the nite bite continues on for about another half hour to sixty minutes after sunset, instead of twenty minutes or so. Same reverse for morning, starts earlier, ends earlier too I found. I don't know if you are committed to Manistee or not, but the Ludington fishing just 30 miles south is on fire right now.

We are camping in Manistee, but could easily trailer down......hopefully the bit moves north in the next 2 weeks.

Just drop me a pm befor ya come up and I'll set you up. It is also pretty good now also. Also where are ya camping at?

Thank you! I really appreciate that!! We are camping at Insta Lunch?? campground. Never been to it , any insite on insta launch or other good oppurtunitys? Do you think a 21' trophy will be able to make it from that campground out to the lake or will I have to pull it out?

Shawn

Ask Tarrey about the solnar fishing charts I think he as an app on his phone. I have been using my handheld GPS for the best fishing times and seems to be right about 90% of the time. During the full moon best times by the GPS are around noon but it changes every day.

Animals - fish, deer, etc. Seem to "act up" with the moon phase.

The best hunting times are typically when the moon is directly overhead or underfoot.

This is why noon is good when there is a full moon.

Also this is why some guys go out and knock em dead at midnight during full moon.

The fish shut off earlier (after the sun comes up) because they have been eating all night and they are full.

Of course this is all theory and not 100 % factual.

But I think you will find that the "good hunting time predictors" and the fish predictors operate on this philosophy.

Shawn dont even worry about the moon manistee is always good.. I stayed at insta launch last summer maybe a week later (mid july) I wouldnt recommed leaving the boat in the water we trailered it to and from launch saved tons of time and fuel!! And Matt and Craig put us on the fish right away. (Great GUYS) And the insta launch has a nice selection of streak spoons and some others. Last year reg kato was hot lemon berry and mixed veggies did some serious damage too. If you want any more detail send me a pm

Good luck

Thank you! I really appreciate that!! We are camping at Insta Lunch?? campground. Never been to it , any insite on insta launch or other good oppurtunitys? Do you think a 21' trophy will be able to make it from that campground out to the lake or will I have to pull it out?

Use the city launch, Insta Launch has issues with water depth and the RR bridge can cause problems for boats with Canvas tops that are too high.We took our top off in 1985 when the water came up overnite. It is also prone to getting silted in at Manistee Lake. The city Launch is right in the turning basin and there is plenty of parking.

Thank you to everyone!! This website is a great group of people. I think we are going to change trips and camp in the UP for the week of the 4th, then take two looong weekends to fish both Ludingtion and Manistee.

Shawn dont even worry about the moon manistee is always good.. I stayed at insta launch last summer maybe a week later (mid july) I wouldnt recommed leaving the boat in the water we trailered it to and from launch saved tons of time and fuel!! And Matt and Craig put us on the fish right away. (Great GUYS) And the insta launch has a nice selection of streak spoons and some others. Last year reg kato was hot lemon berry and mixed veggies did some serious damage too. If you want any more detail send me a pm

Good luck

Thanks Nick, it looks we are headed there late July now, I will definitly give you a shout prior to pick your brain. Thanks again

Here is a good site for the moon, http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarforecast.aspx type in your zip code for the area you will be fishing,you want to fish the major times 3 days before and after,like just hookn said thats when the gravity is at its strongest,we mainly fish with moonshine spoons at night and will only glow them about 50%,we pull are dips and use torpedo divers and long lines,we add sent to all are spoons and catch most r fish going 1.2 to 1.8,you can play with your speed,once we find the angle and speed and the pattern on the spoon will add more of them,its not uncommon to have 4 bloody noses and 4 hot lips out at the end of the night,most are fish caught at night are in the top 1/3 of the water col,we match the spoon size to the bait before we go out and were the fish were biting at and start there. Hope this helps Tony