incredible bite

I haven't been on in a long time (again...) but a discussion came up with a fellow fisherman and i did not have the answer, so i am bring it i here since this board is mostly MI based and the question pertains to MI fishing..

Have you MI guys been having the same crazy bite we have been ion the WI side, I mean charters are limiting in a couple hours or less, it has become the norm to get a limit or you are doing something very fundamentally wrong, i have not seen a fishery like this since the late 70's... back when bait was plentiful and fish were huge, but how long can it last??

thanx!!

PS I hope you guys are slamming like we are on this side :thumb:

That's crossed my mind too Phishy, I figure August to be the best month, as usual, and maybe an icon in history for great fishing success this season. We are ahead of the usual bite by about 6 weeks though, time will tell. What port do you fish in Wis.?

K'waunee mostly, went out of T'rivers this morning, experienced a little lock jaw at first light and still manged 6 for 7 fish after 7am....two man crew, without an early bite?? normally it'd be a skunk or a couple fish day...it's just crazy!

I just worry about the salmon crashing as they did in Lake Huron. The exact same thing happened there with excellent fishing with the loss of an alewife class. The following year a couple more alewife class disappeared. Basically the rest of the alewife were wiped out the following year after that. Reasons were to many predators and invasive species. When the bait fish were gone the salmon followed. Not saying it will happen, but the potentially is there.

I just worry about the salmon crashing as they did in Lake Huron. The exact same thing happened there with excellent fishing with the loss of an alewife class. The following year a couple more alewife class disappeared. Basically the rest of the alewife were wiped out the following year after that. Reasons were to many predators and invasive species. When the bait fish were gone the salmon followed. Not saying it will happen, but the potentially is there.
We have an excellent salmon fishery in St Ignace one thing that you will find very little of is the alewifes. I hate to prove the DNR wrong but the salmon up here are feeding on smelt, sticklebacks, whitefish, and shiners. Very seldom if ever do you find one with an alewife in its belly. I think that the salmon will rebound big time in Lake Huron due to the amount of shiners and shad available. Part of why they disappeared was due to the excess amount of weirs catching all of the spawning salmon. Then VHS hit them hard but they all were hatchery fish and very few that were naturally reproduced. The DNR set Lake Huron up for the disaster that happened. Nice to hear the good news on L Michigan though.