Copper??????

I've been doing searches here on fishing with copper and my eyes are about ready to pop out of my head after reading so many different posts. But I still haven't found an answer to a very basic question I have. Do most people fish it like lead core meaning they run it out to the backing and then attach the backing to a board or do you run it as a tail gunner? Also one other question is do I need line counters or can I just use copper on my Tekota's that I now have lead on? I know it depends on how I plan on fishing it. I do have a steel wire rod setup that I never use because it's a pain having to attach the lead drops to it just to get to a fishable depth. Any help would be appreciated.

You can flat line the copper, but most here use boards to get it out away from the boat. If you have specific lengths of copper, ie: like 150ft. 45lb, or 300ft. 30lb. then you don't really need a line counter.

I may be telling you something you already know, but copper is just like lead core in the method. The difference is that it gets deeper fast, that's pretty much it. Has a little different wiggle, but the main purpose is less line out = faster retreive and reset, oh and less sore arms. Also, you can obviously get much deeper faster (300 and 450s) that you can with core.

Run it off a board and get it out of the way of everything else. Fish it just like leadcore letting out all the copper then attaching the board to whatever you used for backing.

Let it out slow becuase it sinks fast and if your not driving straight you could drop it on top of your dipsey if your not careful and running a high dipsey.

I am using a small swivel with the haywire twist and that goes through the eyes just fine and is holding up well.

I like to let it out first when setting up at about 5 or 6 mph, it will pull out fast and smooth and you can get it out in 20 seconds with no fear of getting it in anything else, works fantastic.

Like Ken said Albright knot to attach both copper to backer and leader to copper, if u r more comfortable u can tie a haywire twist on the copper and solder the twist then use the albright knot to attach the leader and backer, I have found that this creates a smaller attachment and goes thru the eyes better. I also use twill tips on my copper rods seems to work well for me.

Thank you for the replies. Can I tie a blood knot to attach the backing and the leader?

I doubt a blood knot will work with copper. If you could get the copper to tighten up enough for the knot you would still be left with a very large knot, due to the size of the copper, that is going to get hung up going through the guides and levelwind.

I use an albright with a haywire twist on mine.