Holland 6-13

6:30 AM went NW out to 120 to set up with my father-in-law. First time out since May 19. Gusty east winds had us out to 150 by the time we were fully set up. Angled NE to Port Sheldon, with only a small laker lost on the surface close to the boat to show. Forecasted light E winds turned gusty N NW so we turned south and trolled with the wind into 100 feet and found them. A few good bait balls, stayed at 100 all the way back to Holland. Ended up 9 for 16. 4 nice steelhead, 3 lakers, and two 14 lb kings. Lost three other big kings and a couple real nice steelhead. Caught 1 laker deep on white paddle/fly mag diver on 1 back 180, two steelhead on half cores with snap weights, and all the rest on riggers down 70-85 feet, about half off the ball and the rest off sliders. Divers were mostly dead. Tried a bunch of colors, but white spoons, mixed veggie glow with black spots, and black/purple were the spoon colors that worked. Sorry, I don’t even try to keep up on all the names.

One of the steelhead was a male that looked like he was in full spawn mode. Very bright pink stripe, hooked jaw, and his fillets were very pale compared to the other steelies. Strange.

Good job, the steelie could have been a skamania. Summer run strain heading for the Grand.

That's something I didn't think about. Still learning alot about the big lake fishing and had never seen a skamania before (that I knew of anyway). Thanks for the info.

One of the steelhead was a male that looked like he was in full spawn mode. Very bright pink stripe, hooked jaw, and his fillets were very pale compared to the other steelies. Strange.

NOT a skamania. Skamanias as pure silver/blue/white bullets. Colored up, hooked jaw (kype) and pale flesh would indicate a drop-back from the spring spawning run that has not fully recovered.