Deep Copper (850-1000' league)

How many of you run copper in excess of 850' in length? How many use 1000' copper, and when do you use it? Are you targeting lakers specifically, or have you had luck with salmon as well? Also, has anybody gone really wild, and ran anything longer than 1000'? Just curious. I saw some posts where people were running 1000' copper.:eek: Wouldn't care to be the poor soul reeling that big dawg in.

We ran the 1000' for a field test. We also dropped a Fishhawk TD on it to check depth.. Right around 140ft.

It's definitely not a fun fishing tactic...We do now have one 1000 on the boat, and aaron at lakeshore can definitely hook you up with the correct reel for the job.

We used it because the kings we were getting were 120-150 down. It just happened to take a monster lake trout. We only ran it for around 10 minutes effectively, because after it took the first fish, in haste to get it back out, the fresh alewife we were running wasn't set on the meat rig correctly. Hope this helps!

No way in HE77! 300' is, was and always will be the longest rod on my boat. If I want to get deeper I have various dive bombs, torpedos, 1 lb balls and clip on weights that I can add. I fish for fun and that is not fun as far as I am concerned. If someone else wants to run it feel free, but I am not going to expect someone to be running a rod that far back and the odds of it getting run over go up exponentially. Especially if you run it around other boats. I was fishing Frankfort one time and some guy complained about his triple core getting run over while fishing the point. Good luck with that one. And I won't even start about the guy who complained about his 600' copper getting run over by the Lake Express out of Muskegon.

I have a 400 copper on a high speed reel cv55 6.2:1 , should run around 80 down. only going to take it out if I really need too. For those long lengths of copper you need a big board , tx44 . Wow this thing would pull a VW off to the side.

If a 450/45lb runs at around 100ft down, how does 1000 only go up to 150'? Should be running pretty close to 200'

Drag is a parabolic function of speed, so the more you let out the more the line will bow. At some point you won't get any more depth because there is so much drag on the line. (Sorry for the engineer talk :) )

Don't you guys have downriggers on your boats??? At that depth you could easiely catch 3 fish to 1 on a rigger by the time you got that copper in. In my experience when the fish go that deep it's hammer time with just riggers and divers.:no::lol:

Don't you guys have downriggers on your boats??? At that depth you could easiely catch 3 fish to 1 on a rigger by the time you got that copper in. In my experience when the fish go that deep it's hammer time with just riggers and divers.:no::lol:

Yea That^^^^

Try bouncing anything off the bottom in 150 to 200ft of water while trolling it is not as easy as it seems. My 300 copper will hit bottom in 75ft at 2.5 in a straight line at 3.0 I can run it in 60ft and we get Steelhead on it at 4.5 mph.

this would have to be a one fish day, because by the time you reeled in 1000' of copper plus a fish you would be done for the day,LOL. i could think of much better ways to get that deep. i fish 60 to 65 ft with the lite bite slide diver with the stock weight and small ring. im sure if you used the 4 oz weight and the large ring you could get much deeper. then you have the magnum dipsies, im not sure how deep they will go. but you could add them to wire and get plenty deep. then there is always the old trusted downriggers for going deep.

i know there is no way im bringing in a 1000' of copper to check or change the bait,LOL. once its out it would stay there.

sherman

We ran the 1000' for a field test. We also dropped a Fishhawk TD on it to check depth.. Right around 140ft.

It's definitely not a fun fishing tactic...We do now have one 1000 on the boat, and aaron at lakeshore can definitely hook you up with the correct reel for the job.

We used it because the kings we were getting were 120-150 down. It just happened to take a monster lake trout. We only ran it for around 10 minutes effectively, because after it took the first fish, in haste to get it back out, the fresh alewife we were running wasn't set on the meat rig correctly. Hope this helps!

Have you tried that fish hawk on any other coppers? Just wondering what depths you figured out?

Have you tried that fish hawk on any other coppers? Just wondering what depths you figured out?

Sure have. CasseyII(Mark) has done it more than i have, and has all the numbers for pretty much all coppers available. You'd be surprised how far off most people's expectations of depth is with their coppers, to actual running depth. The stuff is EXTREMELY speed dependent.