Be careful out there.

huntingfool43

Well last Sunday the walk back to the woods was a little slower because I was having a little trouble breathing. We got set up and after dark I climbed down but wasn't sure where my buddy John was. I walked to the corner of the woods and had to stand there to try and catch my breath. After a few minutes I started toward the truck, a long uphill walk. I ended up on my knees 3 times before I saw John headed my way looking for me. Finally made it to the truck and back home. I have never thought anything about hunting alone but that scared the hell out of me. I figured if I passed out in the middle of that wheat stubble I would be there a while. My wife's an RN and wanted me to go to the ER that night.Went to Fast Track Monday night because I still didn't feel right. My O2 level was down to 85, they transfered me right over to main ER. The doctors figured smoke from the leaves being burnt down the street Sunday before I went out caused a bronccuel aysmatic (sp) attack. Make sure some one knows where you are and when you plan on returning. I knew John would come looking for me or I would have called the wife to come find me. Thanks to the guy burning leaves I now have to use an inhaler and take a bunch of pills for a while.

Well so far everything is great. Been out in the woods a couple times since and have had no trouble. Even after screwing up on 2 different bucks :angry2: there was no breathing problems. Just have to remember to take it a easy and not work up a sweat. Go to the doctor in a couple hours to see what he has to say, I fell great. Now if I could just get the deer to cooperate. Between this morning and yesterday morning I have seen 4 different bucks and 14 does and not a single arrow has flown.

Last night in the woods I got attacked by two female hunters when I got down from my tree stand last night. They tied me up and took me to there hunting blind. Well from there I cannot tell you what happened, but Steves right don't hunt alone.

Caznik:lol:

Caz

I thinks you are telling stories again.:no: :no: :lol: I want to meet these 2 females.

GLF

The 8 point yesterday morning was a dandy, gyessing 16 to 18 inches of spread. The bigger 1 this morning I am sure is the same heavy horned 7 point with about a 16 inch spread. The other 2 bucks I have seen were both six points.

The doc just gave me a clean slate, he figures it was a bad allergic reaction to what ever was in the smoke from the guy burning leafs.

Caz

The doc just gave me a clean slate, he figures it was a bad allergic reaction to what ever was in the smoke from the guy burning leafs.

Thats GREAT to hear Steve! Now get out and get that big buck!

Well guess I will pass this am, down right nasty out there. I did wack a doe last night. It's the first deer I have taken with a crossbow since being forced to use one 3 years ago. I wasn't real impressed with the penitration I got. I use an XX75 2219 shaft tipped with a 100 grain Spitfire expandable. Hit her high, punched a hole through top of shoulder plate angled forward and down. The arrow didn't break through the skin in the arm pit on the oppisite side. There was some blood from the lungs between the meat and skin but the broad head never cut a hole through the hide. Still had a good blood trail untill the arrow fell out then it got a little spotty until nothing. Sat the lantern at the last spot of blood and made a small circle around to the edge of the power line where I last saw her and as I was turning back toward the lantern I found her, she had leaped over a bunch of briaers and was laying on the back side of them. The wife and I had fresh tenderloin for supper last night. They weren't even done quivering before the wife took them out all by her self and in the house they went. Guess I should have never showed her how easy they are to get out and how good they taste, have to gaurd them on every deer I bring home.

Thanks fellas, that one was a confidence builder. I was not impressd when I had to give up my compound do to neck problems back in 98. Finally broke down in 01 and got a permit to use a crossbow and it took me untill 04 to break down and use it. I blew an easy shot that first season with it do to operator error :angry2: and never really had much faith in it. About the 2nd week of October this year I tried to harvest a turkey with it and lost the bird, Strike 2 aginst it. I changed the style of broad head I was using and practiced to make sure everything was right on and last night was the icing on the cake. Now I hope I won't be as leary about pulling the triggr on the next 1. I have turned down a few chances just from fear of loosing them. Things are looking up and tomorrow moning I will be back in the same stand and hopefully see a decent buck to harvest.

PS: Make sure when you are done with the gutting job you clean off your knife and put it in your pocket. It saves a long walk the next morning to retrive it.