Solder Copper in a loop to tie Too?

Going to Luddington in Mid August. I have a few Questions(actually alot). Has anyone ever soldered the copper in a loop to tie to. Worked with alot copper electronic wire. I would tin the end together then make loop and solder it together nice and smooth. I am using 45lb blood run that I want to tie to 30lb power pro backer 150yds. I figured I could use a polamar knot in the backer and make a big loop and go over the whole spool of copper then cinch it down. Any thoughts on this? I think it would leave a very small knot vs the willis knot (I think thats the right knot). I think it would be very strong also. This is my first time salmon fishin since I was 10. I am a avid walleye fisherman in the westen basin out of Port Clinton. So I know a few things about trolling but its whole different animal in Lake Michigan.

Thanks

Gary

PS. what do U guys think about 2 riggers, 2 300 coppers, 2 full cores, 2 wire diver rods(how many ft of wire), 2 more undecided.(I might go with 30lb power pro for more divers). For mid Aug in Luddington.:help:

Yes every thing above will work, but it really depends on the water temp then. Mid August a few years back we where smacking fish on 1/2 cores, and Ace Hi plugs during mid day, but that was just after a big North blow. ( it really depends on the weather)

As far as the copper goes, just use an Albright Knot and a Hay wire twist and you will be fine. Like this.

_d2n9785.jpg

A typical set up would be 20-40' fluorocarbon-copper- 3-10' 40# mono- 600-800' braid.

(The 40# is where you hook your board to).

I agree with Ken. The fishery is very weather dependant. One thing to consider is that Ludington is a very busy port in August. Towing all those 100 yard presentations around may be a big headache depending on where you fish. The 100' dropoff from just north of town to Big Sable Point and beyond almost always holds nice fish. It also attracts a crowd which is not friendly to those presentations. Many do it, but there are always "colorful" conversations on the VHF due to anglers using that stuff in a crowd. Given the right conditions, I've caught my share of fish in August between the sandbars on shore (10'-15' of water). In that case, you'd want a boat load of flat lines, and 2 to 5 color leadcore to run off boards.

I would hold off on rigging anything until the time comes. 150 and 200 copper may be hot and 300 would be too deep. 450 copper may be hot...half cores with plugs, 2 colors with orange spoons...when you are about two days out check the weather (wind direction) and then research what is going on.

Ya I was thinking the same thing about waiting to fill the reels. I just wanna be ready when I get there. I am actually hoping that the fish are high. That make me alot more comfortable. I usually troll 20 to 30ft deep for walleyes with dipseys or jet divers on Big Boards. I am hoping for a 40 to 60ft bite In Aug. But that is probably wishful thinking!! I am setting up 8 poles strictly for salmon but I am also bringing 10 walleye poles with 30lb Power Pro. My charter captain that I am going with has me wigged out about the fleas and braided line. He also told me U guys don't like guys with big boards. If I am not a water hog I think I should be alright. Thanks alot for the Info!!

Gary::thumb:

Ya I was thinking the same thing about waiting to fill the reels. I just wanna be ready when I get there. I am actually hoping that the fish are high. That make me alot more comfortable. I usually troll 20 to 30ft deep for walleyes with dipseys or jet divers on Big Boards. I am hoping for a 40 to 60ft bite In Aug. But that is probably wishful thinking!! I am setting up 8 poles strictly for salmon but I am also bringing 10 walleye poles with 30lb Power Pro. My charter captain that I am going with has me wigged out about the fleas and braided line. He also told me U guys don't like guys with big boards. If I am not a water hog I think I should be alright. Thanks alot for the Info!!

Gary::thumb:

Sure wouldn't surprise me! usually more like 50-80 down.

Like this.

_d2n9785.jpg

Ken, what I do now is tie the mono onto the end of copper with a Uni-knot. Then slide the mono knot to where the loop end will be and bend the copper around the mono knot. Then tie your haywire twist. The knot is a lot smaller and more protected inside the loop. ;)