A few Copper questions

I plan to setup 2 copper rigs. First off thanks in advance to all who reply to this thread. Second what is everyone's preferred brand of copper as everything i am reading seem's to point to bloodrun. Also I see there is 35# and 45# should i have both or just go for the 45 pound. Next backing material. What is the best way to go as I don't want to have to do this over again.

Thanks,

Grizzly

Blood run is great and I just went with 45 myself. I used Morgan's for a while too which is good to but he jacked up the price on me so I switched to blood run and haven't been dissappointed.

The 32lb is definitely very user friendly for guys just getting into copper. It fishes very close to that of the 45lb, but is smaller in diameter so less knot hang up on line guides. The new Super 45 was just released and is a smaller diameter than the original 45lb, but just as heavy per inch/foot. The advantage is even more user friendly than the original 45, but smaller dia. You can put more of it on your reels and its just as easy to use as the 32lb.

Backer recommendations are a heavier mono, or Blood Runs backer material. You get the stretch you need, at an affordable price, and wont slip like braid in a release.

Definitely give some thought to the boards you are going to use as well. The shallower coppers pull great with Church TX-22's, while the longer rigs pull out best with the TX-44's. You want to get your stuff wide and out past your divers a ways, or you will be dealing with tangles. Good boards like the Church's pull hard and out away from your inside spread..

We still get pretty good deals on Morgans 45lb and love it. Contrary to popular belief- almost all copper is made at the same place just ordered with different twist rates........This has been confirmed from the owners of several companies.

It's pretty much all the same however I'm sure the 32 lb being a looser wrap is easier to work with.

Grizzly,

Feel free to reach out to us (Blood Run) directly through the contact information on our website to learn more about which of our products might work best for you if you decide to try them out. Much of what you read on the internet other than from actual customers is based purely upon speculation and inaccuracies.

And thank you to our customers and their kind words of success! We truly appreciate your support!

Good fishing!

This might help you with your decisions. It is a reel fill calculator that will help you determine varying amounts of line that will fit on your reels.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53&d=1264888188

From the lure end I spool mine:

Flourocarbon-Copper-short section of 50 lb mono-Braid-short section mono.

Attach your board to the mono and replace/tie it when it gets chaffed. I use a small Spro power swivel between the 50 lb braid and mono. Good Luck.

I plan to setup 2 copper rigs. First off thanks in advance to all who reply to this thread. Second what is everyone's preferred brand of copper as everything i am reading seem's to point to bloodrun. Also I see there is 35# and 45# should i have both or just go for the 45 pound. Next backing material. What is the best way to go as I don't want to have to do this over again.

Thanks,

Grizzly

Every thing written above here is spot on.

If you are fishing in the top 60 fow and have never used copper, than go with the 32# BR. It is easy to use.

I am not going to say that Blood Run is the ONLY copper line out there worth using but....

I have been using it exclusively for the last few years and have zero complaints. I have also put many people into it and feel I have had some what of an influence on its arrival to the west side of Lake Michigan. I have yet to hear of any complaints of the their product or their customer service.

I am not going to say that Blood Run is the ONLY copper line out there worth using but....

I have been using it exclusively for the last few years and have zero complaints. I have also put many people into it and feel I have had some what of an influence on its arrival to the west side of Lake Michigan. I have yet to hear of any complaints of the their product or their customer service.

Killerbe20 is right on with this comment. I had used the core and started to get into copper. BRC is IMO the cream of the crop. Compared to the other brand I used, BRC is much more user friendly, smoother all the way around. And in my experience, it puts fish in the boat!

dont mean to hijack your thread, but i am reading this to. and i plan to start running 2 300 32# coppers this year and just want to ask a question. what type and length leader do you use, and why?? thanks for any answers.

sherman

dont mean to hijack your thread, but i am reading this to. and i plan to start running 2 300 32# coppers this year and just want to ask a question. what type and length leader do you use, and why?? thanks for any answers.

sherman

I use 20' fluorocarbon leaders on my copper setups. There are lots of different opinions on what length and type of line is best, you just have to find out what works best for you.

Me and 2 of my usual crew all got into copper this year, we got 200 250 and 300 between us. We are all using mono as far as I know. My original leader was 25 feet just like I do on core. One guy has 50 feet, and the other has 75.

We have yet to find one that is hotter than the other.

We have been running flasheers on the 250 and 300, and spoons on the 200.

Find what works for you and keep doing it.

I use 30-40ft of 20lb flourocarbon. I haven't found that using longer leaders is needed and it allows me to cut back and retye if needed. So far i have only had a couple seasons where i had to replace a whole leader. Once was due to tangling a dipsy into it.

I use 30-40ft of 20lb flourocarbon. I haven't found that using longer leaders is needed and it allows me to cut back and retye if needed. So far i have only had a couple seasons where i had to replace a whole leader. Once was due to tangling a dipsy into it.

same here 30 ft of 20 lb fluoro

• 1 month later...

OK,

So i have a 150 and 300 setups. Been catching fish on both. What do you think about some shrink tubing over the knot between the leader and copper to make going through the guides a bit easier??? is anyone doing this or something else. Its really not bad until i hand the rod to someone that is in a hurry or is new at it.

Grizzly

I havent done that. I just use the spro swivels for my splices. What i do is slightly drop the rod tip and it allows it to slip through the guides easier. Im having problems wrapping my head around the idea of putting shrink tube on and applying heat to it when theres mono or fluoro under it. Maybe im putting to much into it, but it just seems like a weak link in the chain if your not careful with the heat.

I also agree with the sentiments about Blood Runs product line. Its great stuff and their copper is no different. The flexability of the copper makes it a joy to use compared to other copper that ive used. 200,250,300' segments always seem to fire for me in the 32#. And my recent trip over was no exception to that.

Adam,

Thanks for the come back on the heat. I hear you as it crossed my mind. I will try the swivel and see how that works. I bought the blood run super in #45 and it has been taking alot of hits with the new UV stinger spoons. Seems that whole line of spoons are producing all day long on the copper.

Sure has been one heck of a July. Seems like the numbers are here a bit earlier this year.

Grizzly.

Just for kicks i tried lead core and 20 lb floro. All the results weakened the floro to the point when wrapped around your hand with a good tug it failed. Tried four times with heat gun held far away as to heat the shrink tube slowly.