Saginaw Bay's Healthy Fishery

This year is a good year but unlike the past few years we are sorting some fish to get filled up. I think everyone has noticed there are a lot of borderline under sized walleye 14-1/2 to 14-7/8. We are also seeing a few undersized fish in a couple of other year classes. This fact bodes well for the future. I have also noticed the borderline under fish look bigger than they are. They are healthy looking and have more girth than usual and actually look and feel like 16 inch fish. For that matter all the fish that hit the cooler are heftier than in the past few years. Has anyone else noticed this?? They must be eating well.

Bottom Line: We have it good but with some good weather I predict that the next couple of years will be even better. Go get em.

Yes, what Frank said. I actually made a 15" plate for the boat for the first time ever. I can't say how many fat 14.875 fish I have begrudgingly thrown back this year. The big ones are there, its just like perch fishing, you have to get the bait past the piranha bite of the little guys.

Yes, what Frank said. I actually made a 15" plate for the boat for the first time ever. I can't say how many fat 14.875 fish I have begrudgingly thrown back this year. The big ones are there, its just like perch fishing, you have to get the bait past the piranha bite of the little guys.

I have been using a 15X20 inch cutting board that I have on the engine cover. I have a short piece of thin 3 inch aluminum angle that one leg goes under the board and the other leg sticks up. I bump the fishes nose against the aluminum angle and pinch the tail together. If the fish is equal or greater length than the board they are legal. This makes quick work of measuring fish and even poor sighted old guys can read it.:)

Just an FYI. The reason I made the aluminum measuring plate was because I witnessed an issue that many people could inadvertently get messed up with. Lots of boats have the vinyl decal on their transoms with the "great lakes" fish and the measurement scale. I was mating for a local charter boat and we had a few minutes to kill before the customers arrived. We put a measuring tape on the decal just for kicks. The stanley tape measure said 15" was 15.5 on the decal! That could lead to a hefty fine. Check your decal scales, they could be way off because of UV or heat messing with the decal over time.

Just an FYI. The reason I made the aluminum measuring plate was because I witnessed an issue that many people could inadvertently get messed up with. Lots of boats have the vinyl decal on their transoms with the "great lakes" fish and the measurement scale. I was mating for a local charter boat and we had a few minutes to kill before the customers arrived. We put a measuring tape on the decal just for kicks. The stanley tape measure said 15" was 15.5 on the decal! That could lead to a hefty fine. Check your decal scales, they could be way off because of UV or heat messing with the decal over time.

Tony, The reason I went to the same type system was a crew member boxed a fish 1/4 of an inch short a few years ago. I was checked that day and given a warning. I put the no brainer system into effect. Anyone that fishes with me knows that the fish has to stretch the width of the cutting board or it goes back. The DNR officer was kind enough to give a warning and he said, "Next time you will lose some equipment". I just made it as easy as possible for checking a fish without looking at numbers etc. Some of the over the hill gang can't see too well. I have people around 80 yo fishing with me. I actually had one gentleman that was over 90 and he did better than a lot of younger men.