smart pilot x-5 opinions?

I'm considering picking one of these up, and just wanted a few opinions on the system. My boat comes in at under the recommended maximum of 16,500lbs. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with cable steering and outside of spendng at least $3200 to convert and choose a different AP system, this seems to be my best option.

Opinions from those who are familiar with the unit??

When mine has worked it has been great. I had some issues with the first ones but since everything setttled down after the change of ownership my new one has been good. And I can't complain about the service, I've sent it to them twice and they sent me new ones within a week. Hopefully I don't have to send it a third time.

$3200 to convert ?!?!? Thats about twice what it should be.

You can do a Garmin GHP-12 or a Raymarine X-10 and an octopus pump and spend about $2500 in parts to get an excellent autopilot while not having to convert.

The Sportpilot is ok when you get a working one does not handle strong winds or decent sized waves very well but i guess thas ok considering the price.

Mine works fine in most any weather, my biggest complaints are that its noisy and it makes the boat hard to steer manually. If you can afford $2500 follow Hondam's advice. The extra money is worth it in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

I have one and I like it, mine is the SPX-5 corepack with the P70R controller I can fish all day with it and run in and out with it as well. I have not tried docking with it but bet I could do it. With the P70R controller you can turn the heading knob just like a steering wheel so for a 5 deg change to port you turn it till it beeps 5 times. The other reason I got the P70R is it lets me use trolling patterns once I hook up the plottter. The one thing I have noticed is when it is rough you have to increase the response level to hold course which holds a tighter course but runs the unit more. So on calm days I will set the response to 2 or 3 which is fine and the unit hardly runs Fishing in 2 to 4 ft waves I run it on 5 or 6 trolling in the channel I set it on 9 so it does not drift at all. I have not even finished the install on mine I hooked it up got it to work and started using it so my setup still needs to be fine tuned but all I wanted was a roughly straight course which it does fine.

Now the rest of the story this is the unit that was packaged into my boat purchase 5 years ago however Raymarine canceled release several times and I never got the unit. I ended up getting my money back for the AP and waited to see if the ever got it together while I looked at every other option. If I had the extra money it would not be on my boat for a couple of reasons one it is noisey and and as stated it makes the boat harder to steer when not using it. My first choice would be a Octipus R series drive mounted below decks with a Garmin GHP12. But if I had went with it this year the boat would sit at the dock as I would not have gas money to go fishing.

Advantages

1. I could afford it this year

2. It does actually work

3. Now I can fish instead of drive or yell at the driver

4. I can fish by myself in a 26ft boat in any condition I am willing to fish in