Strong South Wind

I'm heading out of SH Friday and Sat, and I'm wondering what this strong S wind might do to the fish. I haven't seen many reports out of SH, so I'm kind of at loss as to what to try. I did well a few weeks ago in 160 fow chatching fish in the entire column. I'm pretty new to salmon fishing on the lake, so I don't have any experience to fall back on. Are they still hanging in the 100 to 150 fow range, moved deeper, is the wind going to scatter them, push them in??? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up 5 for 5 with a several hits on riggers that didn't hook up. We did best straight out from the piers in about 160fow. All 8# or more, with the biggest being 18#. Spent 4 hours on the advice given, and caught one that was hanging by a huge school of bait. Went down to our honey hole and caught the rest. Had several tangles, including one DR weight tied up with the other. There must have been some really strong underwater currents that messed things up. We couldn't run dipseys because they kept getting caught in the lead lines, which took an hour to untangle. I had to cut the leadline and splice it back together. That spliced line caught the 18#er, so I'm glad I tied a good knot. The full core lead lines were the most productive. Caught two on a high stacker on the DR, with a spining bass rod and reel, which was a lot of fun. Red and Green glow spoons were the best at around 50ft down in 160fow. ProKing magnum spoons outperformed all others.

I have never heard of the weights being wrapped around each other spread 10ft apart. When I pulled the one weight up, the other was wrapped on it. When I released it, it caught the top of the outboard, and nearly caught the prop. I would have lost my fingers if that happened. I got lucky this time, and I'll be more carefull if that happens again. Note to self, don't grab the wire bare handed, and don't bring it all the way up when tied together.

I have never heard of the weights being wrapped around each other spread 10ft apart. When I pulled the one weight up, the other was wrapped on it. When I released it, it caught the top of the outboard, and nearly caught the prop. I would have lost my fingers if that happened. I got lucky this time, and I'll be more carefull if that happens again. Note to self, don't grab the wire bare handed, and don't bring it all the way up when tied together.

That is nuts. Glad to hear you still got two hands and ten fingers.

I think the fish will go south, whatever way the wind is from the current goes that way surface moving north , bottom water goes south.

Last week the north winds had the current going to the north and all the warm water out and north. so i would go south and in shallower , thats my hunch....

No, they aren't pancakes, just 12lb balls with a small thick fin to keep them from spinning. We didn't make any tight turns at all. Usually i have a rookie on the boat, who thinks he's andretti on the turns, which screws everything up, but not this time. One weight was about 40ft deeper than the other, which might have had something to do with it.