Trailer questions

Hi, I've got a quick question about my trailer. Since the trailer is new to me whenever I take it on trips I always check the bearings after the trip to see if they're warm. This last trip the back axle wheels were a little warm. Not hot at all but could feel a little warmth. They're also the wheels that have the surge breaks on them. Was that heat from the brakes, or should I be starting to watch those bearings?

One other thing, why the heck are the brakes only on the back wheels. The trailer is tongue heavy and don't cars use their front breaks more for stopping?

Thanks

Most..(7000lb and under) trailer companys hold the dual axle brakes as an options

If u tighen the bearing to tight it could have more heat .

But if it is just the one axle with the brakes on it ( I would think brake heat)

Mike,

I just had a similar issue. Right below and behind the hitch ball is a reset switch to ensure the surge brakes are released from the trailer. If the switch is in the down position you will be dragging your brake the whole time. Make sure you check it each time you hook up the trailer.

The marina metioned it when I bought it but I was not listening very well, information overload!

mike

I would agree with the other post , you will get a rim and tire heat from pulling , and the break tires are going to be a little warmer then the tag tire( no Brakes) I always check my bearing buddies to make sure there is a lot of grease in them the grease helps keep them cooler, and check by pulling on the top of the tires to see if you have a lot of play.if so the bearing a loose or a little worn .Rule of thumb for me is repack the bearings every two years if they need it or not. That way i can check them for rust and replace the seals. The few hours ever other year will safe you a ton in repairs.

mike

I would agree with the other post , you will get a rim and tire heat from pulling , and the break tires are going to be a little warmer then the tag tire( no Brakes) I always check my bearing buddies to make sure there is a lot of grease in them the grease helps keep them cooler, and check by pulling on the top of the tires to see if you have a lot of play.if so the bearing a loose or a little worn .Rule of thumb for me is repack the bearings every two years if they need it or not. That way i can check them for rust and replace the seals. The few hours ever other year will safe you a ton in repairs.

I started doing mine every year. I had a blown seal last spring in my right brake wheel and this year in my left. All my grease was flowing into my brakes. Like you said for the couple hours it take and 8 bucks in new seals it is good insurance against bearing failure. I went that road once and never again. cost me a couple hundred bucks by the time it was done.

The axle with brakes is sure to be warmer. Forward energy is reduced to heat from the friction between the brake shoes and drum.

In the near future the energy wasted by braking will be harnessed and possibly stored in batteries. The technology is already available.